PDA

View Full Version : Wormology 101

Seamonkey
03-12-2003, 02:08 PM
:lol: Hi All
I often see in the forums, comments about bristleworms and flatworms.Can anyone tell me what is a bristleworm, and if these are good for the tank. Also, what are flatworms, and if they are bad, is there a way to eyeball these things at the LFS before making a purchase. Anyone know any links so I can read up? Thanks for you help.
Toni

Delphinus
03-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Bristleworms good, flatworms bad.

If you do a search on either, here or at any of the boards you should find plenty of info and pictures. Sorry I don't have any links myself offhand but there should be tonnes of info out there. Happy hunting! :)

Nullig
03-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Here's a good site for identifying LR hitchhikers:

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/

Lots of info.

Noel

Aquattro
03-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Toni, just a note on flatworms. I saw some in a local LFS tank yesterday, so if you're buying anything new, always assume the worst. Wendell recommends a epsom salt dip, at the same temp and SG as your tank.
And although flatworms aren't bad (as in the do anything wrong), they are "pesky".

BCOrchidGuy
03-12-2003, 04:33 PM
I read somewhere recently that bristle worms kill and eat snails, I've got a bunch of both in my tank and I haven't noticed any major problem with snails missing so....

As far as brittle stars... I understand the black ones are good, the green ones are BAD ... personal experience, the green ones can catch and eat a clown fish faster than you can pull the brittle out and stamp on it and curse its suddenly shortened life.

Seamonkey
03-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and link gang.
P.S. Brad thanks for the tip, I would love to add more to my tank, but being a 20 gal, with the large frogspawn and an even larger anenome,my space is severely limited. I may have to bribe one of my local reefers with the offer of a free frogspawn frag is they come and do the job. :lol: