PDA

View Full Version : Stylophora issues

digital-audiophile
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Question -

I seem to be having problems with my pink stylophora. It seems to be bleaching and has some algae attaching to some of the bramnches. I do still have polyp extention but it is just looking really washed out.

I can post pictures this evening if requested.

Any tips, advice?

Delphinus
05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see a picture if possible.

I had a really nice piece for many years and it would constantly have this sort of brown fuzzy/stubbly algae growing on the tips. The colony as a whole did OK, up until I moved that is, and sadly it is now just a memory.

The algae was profoundly difficult to remove. About the only thing that would remove it was by scraping it with a razor blade. A toothbrush didn't even touch the stuff.

So I don't know if what you have is the same so that's why I think maybe I'll see a picture before rushing to any judgments.

However, assuming that it's the same as what I had, I always suspected that it was a case of flow and/or lighting. I had mine on the top of the rockwork which made for exposure to the highest velocity flow, and also the most intense light.

I never really did get a chance to confirm my theory but you might want to try moving it around to a spot of say gentler flow (to the point where there's no polyp sheer) and maybe a lower spot with less light intensity.

Anyhow, good luck. I guess I can't offer with certainty any tricks that "worked for me to fix the problem" but thought that maybe these random thoughts might help nonetheless.

digital-audiophile
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks Tony,

I'll post up a picture tonight. I am going to try to move it down as well as it is right at the top of the rockwork and besdie the vortech so it may just not like that spot, everything else is doing fantastic. I'm thinking about getting some of the zeo stylo/pocci grow as well and see if that helps out.

Joe Reefer
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Greg are you dosing AAHC?

digital-audiophile
05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I have been dosing the Amino Acids daily for about a month.

Joe Reefer
05-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Stylos and poccis need very strong flow IME. It could be as Tony said not enough flow, and just to poke fun at T5's not enough light.:razz:

I would hold off on the stylo/pocci grow. I believe that its intended to change the change the zooxanthellae in the coral to make it lighter and brighter in color.

digital-audiophile
05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I got busy last night and did not get a chance to take some pictures. When I went down this morning to do my morning zeo ritual I noticed that one branch was stak white and covered in algae. I think I am going to frag the colony into parts tonight to see if I can save it.