PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Second Stage

Tom R
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I have been concerned as to the use of CO2 by my OA Calcium Reactor. I have discussed the matter with a number of my friends and decided to add a Second Stage to the reactor. I have always kept my effluent from my Calcium Reactor between 6.5 and 6.75. My thought was that this was keeping my overall PH low (7.89 to 8.10). After adding my Second Stage the overall tank PH is between 8.20 and 8.30. I have also put my Frag Tanks on a reverse lighting cycle. I now look at the PH graph that my ProfiLux controller keeps and my PH is steady 8.2 to 8.3.
Here is a picture of my new Second Stage built by my friend Chin Lee.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/Tom_R/Equipment/IMG_0241.jpg

Delphinus
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Has it affected the pH of the effluent? When I ran a second stage, my effluent was still 6.7 (it was 6.7 going into the second stage, it was 6.7 coming out). But I didn't think to measure the tank's pH swings as a result (mind you I didn't have a nifty little chart logger like a Profilux to make it easier to do so ;)).

That's awesome that you've noticed a difference already, guess there really is something to the second-stage then.

Question, what is your effluent flow rate?

Jason McK
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Looks Great Tom. So you are still measureing PH in the first stage. have you read the PH of the effluent after the second stage?

J

Tom R
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
My PH inside the main chamber of the Calcium Reactor is 6.55 and the effluent out of the Second Stage 7.38 and the System PH is 8.20. My main lights have only been on for an hour.

Tom R

Delphinus
04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Really??? What's your flow-though rate (effluent rate)? I run my reactor at 6.7 and when I had two stages the second stage was emitting 6.7 as well. Although come to think of it, I think for the first week or so it was higher, but it was after several days that the second stage came down. That was at 60ml/min, so I guess it was just a case of the slow flowrate took a while for the second stage to fill up with the lower pH water.

Tom R
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
My effluent is flowing at a rate of 100 ml per minute.

I will watch the levels over the next week and post the levels 1 week from now.

Tom R