PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Sizing

Parker
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm trying to decide if I will need a chiller and what size I should purchase if needed. My tank (265) is in the basement, the basement never climbs over 20C.

I will have a full canopy to the ceiling on my tank with 3x400w bulbs. I have ventilation already in place above the tank in the ceiling to the outdoors. Will I need a chiller or will I be able to get away with fans over the sump?

Thanks

24storm
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I think you will need a chiller. I have a very similar setup 220 with 3 400 watts.
Four level split with tank in the basement and sump in the first basement. I have a 1/2 horse chiller and when the weather went to 20 this past week it cut in for the first time this year. So i can only imagine when it gets to 30 that thing will be running quite often. Is your canopy vented? I have 2 fans on mine one pulling fresh air in and one pushing hot air out.

Parker
04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Damn, I was afraid of that. The canopy will be vented to the outside but it will only run when the humidity reaches a preset level. Which I imagine would probably end up running most of the time in the summer months. I was planning for circulation fans in the canopy if needed, two in on each side.

I just don't have a remote location to place the chiller, it will have to be inside the stand.

I'll get it figured out.

Thanks

Joe Reefer
04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Maybe central A/C for the whole house would be a better option.

Parker
05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure Central Air would solve my problem. The ambient air temp in the basement never climbs over 20c. Adding central air would help with any humidity issues I might have but I don't believe it would do much in the way of cooling the tank unless I dropped the temp in the basement a significant level, which would make it uncomfortable for me to be in the basement. Hard to work on the tank in my parka! *laugh*

I think I read somewhere that it takes four times more air to equal the cooling capacity of water. I think I might be stuck with the chiller. I have being eying up the Pacific Coast Imports 1/2HP. People seem to have good things to say about it.

mark
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
With central air, it not having to run the house as a freezer, just that it has the capacity to remove heat.

I don't have the lights you're planning (just 2x250W plus the T5s) but with central air at 18° in the summer my sump heater comes on.