View Full Version : NEED Wavebox

Dobber
04-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Does anybody have a wavebox for sale I am in serious need of a wavebox
Also Does anybody have tunze or ecotech vortech powerheads for sale

mseepman
04-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Tom,

Given the fact that you need to add some flow to your tank...I think you should look at this package on E-bay. It includes all the powerheads you need (4) and I've seen this wavemaker work not too badly.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wavemaker-Wave-Maker-and-4-Maxi-Jet-1200_W0QQitemZ260235129685QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46312 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dobber
04-30-2008, 05:44 AM
have you heard about boyu wavemakers and powerheads they seem okay

Okguy
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Dobber, I've never heard of boyu wavemakers. A quick Google search gave limited results.

What size is your tank and what are you looking to keep? What kind of flow are you looking for? And most importantly what is your budget range :mrgreen:? There are lots of options out there but without knowing what you need and what you are willing to spend, makes it hard for everyone to provide suggestions.

Cheers,

Kevin

mseepman
04-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Tom,

Be careful on Boyu wavemakers...they are chinese and they only run on 220V which won't work in Canada. I imagine that you've seen them on ebay...for a great price too. The link I forwarded to you includes 4 MJ1200's and they will work with any equipment you get in the future like a controller,etc...

fkshiu
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
have you heard about boyu wavemakers and powerheads they seem okay

After checking them out on ebay they are obviously utterly shameless Tunze ripoffs of the multicontoller and 6055 nanostreams. The claimed output is not clear but only appears to be up to "2000 l" which would be pathetic for a tank your size. Even true nanostreams are only recommended for tanks of up to 4 feet in length.

With as many problems as tunze had to work out the kinks in their nanostreams, I have my doubts about the reliability of these knock-offs. And I'm sure you'd get top quality customer service and warranty support from this seller as well (NOT!).

Lastly, this stuff isn't CSA certified so if it ever burned down your house insurance wouldn't cover your losses.

As far as a Wavebox is concerned, it doesn't count towards flow - Roger Vitko of Tunze confirms as much. Waveboxes are only to create a back and forth wavelike motion in your tank as opposed to actually generating flow throughout the tank.

banditpowdercoat
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Ive been thinking about adding wave to my 45g quarter round tank. Have a Quiet One 3000 in tank, closed loop 780 GPH and a Mag 3.5 for sump return, 200GPH approx. Any idea's? The Wavebox looks nice and unobtrusive, but Expensive:cry: Are the Tunze nanostream pumps able to be controlled? I didnt want Powerheads on my tank, but I may just have to have one??

Okguy
04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Tom, I found your link showing your tank specs. Most people reccomend a flow of 20-40 times the size of a tank. So for your 250 gallon tank, you should have somewhere between 5,000 - 10,000 gph in your tank. 2 mags at 1800 gph and 2 koralia 2's at 600 gph has you around 4800 gph. Becasue you have large fish who love to swim I would recommend being on the higher end to give them exercise and to keep the bioload suspended so the skimmer can remove it. If you take Mark's advice and get the wavemaker off e-bay you can purchase 4 maxi-jet mods here:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wp-mpsf1600

this should give you some really nice flow at a relatively cheap price.

HTH

Kevin

mseepman
04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Tom that's actually some good advice from Kevin & Fkshiu. The Boyu's are not a good choice. If you didn't have the cash right away to buy the mod kits, at least you know you can do it later and get big improvements for not a lot of money.

Dobber
05-01-2008, 03:04 AM
i think that is what im going to do is the maxi jet kit and buy the mods i just wanted to know about these boyu things cause i havent heard of them and was just wondering