PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

Parker
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Does a effluent chamber increase the capacity of a reactor or does it just scrub off extra Co2?

I have a effluent chamber sitting around due to my calc reactor being damaged so I'm trying to size a new reactor and I was wondering if I should factor in the second chamber?

Parker
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Anyone?

Joe Reefer
04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think it really increases the capacity, it does absorb the CO2 therefore letting the PH increase before entering the tank. Some people have problems with their reactor driving down the PH in the tank, so in that case it would be a benefit. You can also drip kalk to counteract the low PH.

Jason McK
04-30-2008, 03:15 PM
It does both. when water exits the first chamber the CO2 level is still quite high. Usually still around media melting levels (depends on what you have it set for) The second stage will use that CO2 to convert more media. This causes the PH to rise. So at some point the CO2 levels are no longer effectivly lowering PH to the media melting point as it passes through the second stage.
So the main function of the second stage is to bring up the PH prior to the water going back into the tank, but it will melt some media.
Now you can adjust your CO2 to melt more media in the second stage.

J

fencer
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
All that does is increase the residence time. If the primary reactor is on a controller then it doesn't matter. In order to scrub off CO2 it has to be aerated. Makes a nice injection chamber though. Kalk is a good example

Joe Reefer
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
It does both. when water exits the first chamber the CO2 level is still quite high. Usually still around media melting levels (depends on what you have it set for) The second stage will use that CO2 to convert more media. This causes the PH to rise. So at some point the CO2 levels are no longer effectivly lowering PH to the media melting point as it passes through the second stage.
So the main function of the second stage is to bring up the PH prior to the water going back into the tank, but it will melt some media.
Now you can adjust your CO2 to melt more media in the second stage.

J

Thats what I ment to say. I am just bad with my words. :redface:

mark
05-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Seen this recent thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=321503#post321503)?

Parker
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Seen this recent thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=321503#post321503)?

I missed that thread, not sure how as I spend my day here instead of getting any work done.

Thanks All