PDA

View Full Version : Clown eggs

Doug
04-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Never took my percs long to get back to work after moving back into the 90g. :lol: And as my Cinnamon,s did, they love the pvc homes. Thats the same spot the Cinnamons layed theirs in my 225g tank.

This is about the 5th batch for these guys but none for a fair while. Guess I moved them around to much. :lol:2808

Doug
05-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Well that batch never lasted long. Someone ate them already. :surprise:

Myka
05-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Bummer! Good idea on the PVC. :)

Doug
05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Works slick for someone wishing to remove the eggs for hatching.

Myka
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Once I find a mate for my True Perc, I'd like to try raising the fry. My Bangaii fry are doing well, so I should be able to handle Percs too I'd think...?

Doug
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Once I find a mate for my True Perc, I'd like to try raising the fry. My Bangaii fry are doing well, so I should be able to handle Percs too I'd think...?

The one batch we did try, seemed a bit harder than the bangaii fry but they were doing fine until the power shut down. Heck, they were just eating a lfs food for new born fish of all kinds. :smile:

I was watching the male today and she has him hard at work, grooming a new spot on the pipe for another batch I guess. :lol:

Myka
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Ya, I've heard clowns are a bit tougher to raise than Cardinals.

Doug
05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Back at it. What a pair. :lol:

Male,s turn to mouth the eggs.

Momma,s turn.

My poor little mandarin was chasing some mysis over by their pipe house and got to close. The male gave it a warning, {and of course the mandarin is to stupid to figure it out}. He then got shoved away and not so nice.

Myka
05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Haha! Are you going to try to raise the fry?

Doug
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Haha! Are you going to try to raise the fry?

Likely not Myka. I would have to restructure the rock support to remove the pipe. Sure is tempting though.

Myka
05-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I wonder how they'd ship? :lol: Probably like crap!

Doug
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Ya, to bad I cant get some of them out to you Myka. I may have to arrange the pipe so it can be removed to try raise some. At the moment, its part of the base of the tanks structure.

When I move the clowns back to the cube, {no pipe house}, they never laid any eggs. The same day their pipe was back, they groomed it and she laid them that night. I finally watched the whole thing, with her laying them and then him fertilizing. Amazing to watch.

So my sps cube is designed around their pipe home, for them. :mrgreen: Spoiled fish. My pair of chromis & little mandarin are in a separate tub for now and not sure if I will place them back in the cube or just leave the clowns there alone.

Here is a couple pics I tried with my cheapy digital & a mag glass. :lol: You can see their little eyes. 2969

sharuq1
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
That looks so cool

ElGuappo
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
thats pretty money. i would just leave them and see how they do. its really no different from nature. only the strong survive.

Doug
06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
That must be the near hatching stage, as they are gone this morning.

Myka
06-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Ya, they won't survive if you don't remove them to raise them. They are just too small.

Doug
06-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Back at it again.

Doug
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Hard at work. :mrgreen:

Carmen
06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Awesome pics of them hard at work!! Did you ever see any of them swimming last time?

marie
06-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Doug, how often do your clowns lay eggs?
I was hoping for a few days between batches to get some tank maintenance done ( My clown has death in her eyes when she's protecting her eggs) but my clarkiis are puting down a new batch the day after the old bunch hatches.

Doug
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Awesome pics of them hard at work!! Did you ever see any of them swimming last time?

Thanks Carmen. have not seen any fry swimming yet. They seem to hatch at night and gone in the morning. Last batch were born in my 45 cube and I had rubble and stuff in the big overflow, hoping some would stay in there. I once had baby bangaii do that.

This batch is back in my 90g, with several other fish. Lots of hiding places and no overflows but cant see any making it past hatching. I dont recall reading ever, about clown fry making it in normal aquarium, like bangaii fry.

Doug
06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Doug, how often do your clowns lay eggs?
I was hoping for a few days between batches to get some tank maintenance done ( My clown has death in her eyes when she's protecting her eggs) but my clarkiis are puting down a new batch the day after the old bunch hatches.

Marie, Their last batch, {the pics with the little eyes}, was in early June. I would guess if I leave them alone and they are not harassed, about once a month. Seems as thought they take a break sometimes. Likely my fault though, as they have been moved many times in their almost 6 yrs. with me. :lol:

The male bites me the same, no matter if they have eggs or not. I did notice him to be a bit more aggressive the day before, when I was changing a few things. I think they are just plain ignorant all the time. :lol:

Mines not as bad as Mikes male perc. Its taken a hunk from both of us. I agree the larger ones are really bad at times. My large cinnamons, {the female still lives in my friends 180}, was so bad, she had to be held back by a large net or something when working in the tank. I found that works pretty well at keeping them in their place for a bit.

Sounds like yours are pretty regular. Do they show less aggression when without eggs?

marie
06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Mine started their first bunch of eggs June 4 and now they're on their third batch. With no break between egg laying I have no idea if she is as aggressive without eggs or not :sad: