PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood flooring

Reefhawk1
04-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Does anyone have hardwood under their reef tank?

I am thinking about changing my laminate flooring to Hardwood flooring in my basement. If you have hardwood how is it holding up?

Thanks

Stan

mseepman
04-28-2008, 02:54 AM
I have hardwood flooring - Ash. It's holding up okay, and I've had a flood once on it. The floor showed some wear right after that flood but with some elbow grease I managed to restore the shine back to it.

I would prefer laminate because I worry about my floor all the time.

reptile guy
04-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Ya but if you have a flood your laminate can swell then it's bye bye whereas with hardwood it can be restored. I know a few people that have large tanks on hardwood floors and there holding up great although down the road if you got rid of the tank you'd probably have to put a new finish on the floor but you'd probably have to anyways from other wear and tear (what is it refinish every 10 years roughly?). Course laminate is far cheaper and easy to replace.

I have hardwood flooring - Ash. It's holding up okay, and I've had a flood once on it. The floor showed some wear right after that flood but with some elbow grease I managed to restore the shine back to it.

I would prefer laminate because I worry about my floor all the time.

Myka
04-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Ya but if you have a flood your laminate can swell then it's bye bye whereas with hardwood it can be restored.

Yep. Bad idea to use laminate under a tank.

hummer
04-28-2008, 03:50 AM

I am thinking about changing my laminate flooring to Hardwood flooring in my basement. If you have hardwood how is it holding up?

Thanks

Stan

I've had a 77gal on hardwood for 2 years and it was fine. I currently have a 90gal on hardwood. I bought a mat from home depot to cover the flooring where my tank would sit. I heard that hardwood absorbs moisture from the concrete unless you're building it on a subfloor. Something to look into if you haven't thought of it already.

fkshiu
04-28-2008, 04:08 AM

Thanks

Stan

Can't use real hardwood in a basement - too much moisture. You can use engineered hardwood with the right underlay. I'd rather have wood that laminate under my tank as you can refinish wood should a flood happen.

Another option is to tile just for under the tank and go wood elsewhere like what I did. Tile on top of a concrete slab is the best flooring option for an aquarium.

24storm
04-28-2008, 04:14 AM
I have my 230 on engineered hard wood in a basement i put in a sub floor. I also wrapped the bottom of the stand with a pool liner encase of drips and spills. Then i put a rubber backed carpet mat in front of the tank anytime i am working on the tank.

Keith

Reefhawk1
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Phanman
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
dont mean to hijack your thread but I was going to place some extra laminent flooring i had between the hardwood and tank for drips etc... would this be ok?

Murminator
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't use real hardwood in a basement - too much moisture. You can use engineered hardwood with the right underlay. I'd rather have wood that laminate under my tank as you can refinish wood should a flood happen.

Another option is to tile just for under the tank and go wood elsewhere like what I did. Tile on top of a concrete slab is the best flooring option for an aquarium.

I have had "real" hardwood in my basement for 12+ years with no problems.

Stan you seen how well my has held up you shouldn't have any problems, I did have a few floods on the floor but with towels to pull the water up the boards did curl but we left fans on it of over a month the boards dried out and flattend back out with no problems what so ever

Laban Paul
07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Basements are notorious for collecting water. Before you purchase and install basement flooring, put a large tarp or several trash bags on your basement floor in the center of the room and in the corners. Tape them down tightly so no air gets in.for more info go to http://homeimprovementcontractors911.com/:smile:

RuGlu6
07-30-2009, 06:51 AM

x2 this is the best option!