PDA

View Full Version : Painting the back wall

Jaws
04-28-2008, 01:39 AM
I was just wondering what the preferred method for painting the back wall of your tank is. I painted my last one using a 4" brush and black paint and I found the paint would dry and then could easily be chipped or wiped off. Even when I did the second coat, some of the dried paint would slide off the glass. It looked really streaky too from the inside of the tank instead of a nice solid color. Any suggestions on what paint to use and what brush would be great. Thanks for your help.

24storm
04-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Go to a sign maker and get some vinyl decal from them. I used that on my tank and it works great. Use a little soap and water when you apply it and you can get the trapped bubbles out.

Keith

Black Phantom
04-28-2008, 03:27 PM
If you want to paint it you have to prep it right. This means the glass has to be perfectly clean. Use vinegar and water for the first step. Use a non lint soft cloth. An old cotton t shirt works well.
Once you are done, wipe the entire suface with with either acetone (do not touch anything plastic and very high odor) or denatured alchohol.
Use a new clean cloth and don't touch the glass with your hand.
Once you are done use a quality Latex paint and a roller. Take your time and it should come out fine.
Brushes pull the paint and a cheap brush will leave streaks. That why a good painter uses quality materials.

mseepman
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I see a variety of people use Krylon Fusion, but isn't that for plastics?

cprowler
04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I did what Black Phantom did but rolled on Tremclad black, it's been over two years and no pealing or chipping. I see most people spray on Krylon Fusion and I have no idea why since roll on works so well.

mseepman
04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
I would think that rolling it on would be a lot less work. I will try that. Any special tremclad that you used?

Waxx
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I used tremclad flat black rust paint, rolled on, it worked awesome. I think I did 3 or 4 coats, it dries to kind of a rubber like finish. One thing to watch out for though is that it stinks to high heaven.

cprowler
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Yup, tremclad flat black rust paint.

brizzo
04-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I see a variety of people use Krylon Fusion, but isn't that for plastics?

Krylon fusion is also recommended for glass; pretty much anything with a smooth hard surface that is hard it will bond to.