PDA

View Full Version : No filter socks>> anyone doing this??

atcguy
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Well I went from two filter socks in my sump to just 1 now and am even considering eliminating them all together now.. Anyone else not use them.. I think they are a bit of nitrate factories... I am using ultralith system and my water is clear with no particles in water.. I have had no ill effects after dropping one of them.... please let me know what you think./.

marie
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I went from two filter socks in my sump to just 1 now and am even considering eliminating them all together now.. Anyone else not use them.. I think they are a bit of nitrate factories... I am using ultralith system and my water is clear with no particles in water.. I have had no ill effects after dropping one of them.... please let me know what you think./.
I don't bother using them, detritus is just another food source for all the little microscopic critters :mrgreen:

Which explains why I have so many hydroids :lol:

ferret
04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think the filter sock will become a nitrate factory if you replace them at regular basis. I replace mine one a week when I perform the regular water change.

Drock169
04-28-2008, 03:01 AM
I agree with ferret. Although I replace mine every couple days because of my bioload.

Railskinner
04-28-2008, 03:56 AM
ive being using one a while now i think they are great, change mine out every 3 days, i thought i seen a thread somewhere , for and order, i wouldn't mind getting a few more.

surgeonfish
04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
It was me that ordered some from the US. They have not arrived yet. So far they have all been spoken for, but if there are any left I will post. Also, I may order again in the future and I give everyone plenty of warning on Canreef.

Delphinus
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I have one tank that uses them. The way I have the sump setup, it's quite a PITA to swap out. They have helped polish the water some, but the main reason I have them is to compensate for a bad original sump plan that included way too powerful a pump and thus there are terrible microbubbles in the tank without the sock.

Honestly I think I would do away with them if I could. I also hate that I'm a bleeding heart and sit there for 5 minutes picking out copepods, worms, brittle stars, and chitons to toss them back in the tank, which makes changing the socks out even more of a chore.

hecks220
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I really like the filter socks, but they require quite a bit of maintenance for me. I wash mine out twice weekly...

Skimmerking
04-28-2008, 06:52 AM
ya I had the same problem lots of little critters are getting caught in them like the baby brittle stars i have millions of them in the tank. they do work well catching the crap in the over flow. but really if you are cleaning your sump on a regular period then you dont need them..

Reefer Rob
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I just started using a filter sock about 5 months ago. I use one on 1 of my 2 outlets. IMO it make less maintenance for the tank. Way less crud to siphon in the sump and tank. I also feel it was an important part in beating a red carpet algae I've been battling for years. Water looks great, I don't think I can ever take it out now.

Joe Reefer
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I used one for a day, clogged up to fast.

bassman
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I use them all the time, they work awesome. They also help eliminate micro bubbles.

I have 5 that I rotate, they are all cleaned about once a week.

atcguy
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
i have never siphoned my tank.!!!!

atcguy
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
pain in the *** aswell with my sump in the closet to change out, I think I will try taking them out of the picture...