PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of "The Monster's" home to be.

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 04:17 AM
here is the stand just before I painted the stand with it's first coat.
Built with 2x4's 2x6's and 2x10's
Just want to keep you all updated as my exciting project comes along.
Thanks Alan for hosting the pics on your site so all can view :D

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00840-1.JPG

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 04:18 AM
3/4" plywood added to top of stand
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00852-1.JPG

View from the front side of the tank from the tv/rec room.
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00855-1.JPG

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 04:20 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00856-1.JPG

The funny positioned 2x4 pole in the pic is just for the current tank upstairs and will come out when the 90 from upstairs is moved.

EmilyB
03-11-2003, 04:51 AM
:shock:

The tool wall.........I don't think I've ever seen anything that organized in my entire life.... 8) :?

My cutlery drawer doesn't even do that for me.... :P

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 05:22 AM
:shock:

The tool wall.........I don't think I've ever seen anything that organized in my entire life.... 8) :?

My cutlery drawer doesn't even do that for me.... :P :lol: Well all that moves to the garage but it may be even more orgainized when it's moved :wink:

EmilyB
03-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Is that two Little Giants or some other pumps I see ? Can you explain ?

MitchM
03-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Looks great Jon!

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Thank guys.

Deb, Yes those are the Little giant pumps that you see. They are for the current tank upstairs. One of the pumps is running the skimmer and the other is the return pump for the 90g on our main floor.
All that stuff will be going on the 230 so it will not be where it currently is.
That room will be wide open.

Doug
03-11-2003, 01:31 PM
:D I noticed that wall also Deb. I bet he just made nice for the pic. :lol: Thats what I do in my room. :lol:

Coming along well. Stand looks great. I used all 4 by 4 legs for mine, but I,m very over cautious. Actually your stand sitting in the wall, looks almost the same. Even the same lip over the back. :)

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 06:42 PM
:D I noticed that wall also Deb. I bet he just made nice for the pic. :lol: Thats what I do in my room. :lol:

Coming along well. Stand looks great. I used all 4 by 4 legs for mine, but I,m very over cautious. Actually your stand sitting in the wall, looks almost the same. Even the same lip over the back. :)

No that wall looks like that all the time.....really.....except when I am working on a project. I left that lip for putting crap on as I am working on the tank. I bet that's the same reason you did it Doug :D

MitchM
03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
One thing I thought of Jon, is to make sure that you waterproof the OSB plywood thoroughly. OSB swells quite a bit and will flake away when it gets wet.
Also, have you given any thought to bracing or will you be applying a layer of plywood to the outside of that frame to prevent it from racking?

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 07:43 PM
One thing I thought of Jon, is to make sure that you waterproof the OSB plywood thoroughly. OSB swells quite a bit and will flake away when it gets wet.
Also, have you given any thought to bracing or will you be applying a layer of plywood to the outside of that frame to prevent it from racking?

Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I applied 3 coats of paint to the osb plywood. there will be foam on top of the wood as well.

With regards to bracing, I thought I might be done? There will be drywall going on the front (viewing wall) of the stand. I figured the wall on either side of the stand would prevent racking. It doesnt budge if I throw all my body weight into the stand sideways. front to back moved before I added the plywood to the top. Do you figure I need to add more side to side bracing?
I could add either a 2x4 across the 6 foot length of the stand or add a sheet of plywood across the front but I would have to have cabinet openings in the plywood so it would not be a complete sheet.

Thanks for your help Mitch!

MitchM
03-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Yeah, don't count on drywall for any lateral bracing. You'll have over 2000 lbs of weight on there, so if you and 10 of your large friends got on and shifted a bit...... :wink: .
Put some diagonal bracing on the stand, on the inside. The bigger the better. On the back and sides would be enough.
I know it may seem like overkill now, but I prefer to think of the stand as it's own unit. I'm thinking of a 2 X 4 in each upper corner, cut at a 45 degree angle on each end, then screwed into the frame.

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks Mitch.
Sorry about asking more questions but I just want to make sure I get it correct.

So is just adding the bracing on one of the larger sides (the front one so i can still have storage under the stand) and the sides good enough?

Also for the larger side bracing should I use a single /, V or X type brace?

The V or the / would seem like the best options to me. What do youi think?

cheers

MitchM
03-11-2003, 09:41 PM
You don't need to carry the brace from the top to the bottom. Running it on the inside from the top to the side will be good enough, making a triangle.
Measure about 12" along each face and complete the triangle with a 2 x 4 cut with a 45 degree on both ends.
(this is more difficult to explain than I thought.....lol) Sorry!
Do this on each upper corner.

Mitch :wink:

Canadian Man
03-11-2003, 09:53 PM
NOW I GOT IT!
Thank's Again. It is clear to me now. Got a project to do tonight!

MitchM
03-11-2003, 09:56 PM
:D

Mitch