PDA

View Full Version : vodka,sugar,vinegar ???

banditpowdercoat
04-27-2008, 04:17 PM
OK, I've seen some references to dosing vodka,sugar,vinegar in your tank. What, why, when?
Thx in advance

bv_reefer
04-29-2008, 06:06 AM
tagging along this thread I'm also curious about this procedure

Chowder
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1225324

Reefer Rob
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
This (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1348770) thread should convince you not to do it, or at least be very careful. Remember that when you try this method you tank will be an experiment. You could loose everything. I used to dose sugar, but overdosing it once was enough to convince me not to use it.

fencer
04-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I read that entire thread on RC. That is very interesting. I also read Reefer Rob's thread pointer and it actually did not discount the vodka method. After reading the thread. IMO I would not use sugar to dose tanks. For one reason in that it is too complex to use rapidly in to the organism. 2 carbon molecules like ethanol or acetate go directly to the metabolic chain. Most bacteria that reduce nitrates utilize this cycle(TCA I think) predominantly and would readliy take vodka in. I am hesitant to use vodka as I think it should be put to proper use. I would like to use Zeovit but $$$ keep me from considering it. It does work but I think zeo is more gradual than vodka. As noted on the RC thread...large blooms with white stuff are in the water,,,,tells me whatever bacteria are using it are multiplying. I prefer not to use large doses but gradual increments to stem the bloom.

Oceanic
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I mix vinegar with my Kalk in my reactor and I could not be happier with the results. Vinegar has numerous benefits when used properly.

Cheers!

fencer
04-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Did you see immediate improvements with vinegar. I can see using acetic acid with a Kalk reactor but not using vinegar alone.

Reefer Rob
04-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I used vinegar with Kalkwasser when I used to add it. (gave that up when I switched to SPS) It was mainly to increase the potency of the Kalk. I didn't notice any nutrient reduction benefits from it.

Oceanic
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Did you see immediate improvements with vinegar. I can see using acetic acid with a Kalk reactor but not using vinegar alone.

I did see a reduction in nitrates when dosing it with Kalk; however, vinegar alone is still a potent carbon source. I would dose vinegar alone if I didn't mix it with kalk. If you plan on trying this just mix a little kalk into the vinegar anyways, the two together counter act the hard ph either way.

fencer
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
I was thinking of using ethanol. I would not use vinegar as it might interfere with Calcium reactor controller. My only problem with ethanol I have is it might be denatured.

Oceanic
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Not sure that would be a good idea, I would do lots of research first.