PDA

View Full Version : leaking sedra 5000

Chin_Lee
04-27-2008, 06:41 AM
so I have a sedra 5000 that is leaking very slowly but nevertheless I can't have it leak because its being used for my calcium reactor. Its leaking slowly from the removable volute and I am assuming the Oring is not doing its job. The pump is brand new but I've glued fittings onto the pump already.
Has anybody had this problem and come up with a solution for fixing this?

untamed
04-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Is the pump under a lot of pressure? I'm thinking that there might be too much pressure in the line and the o-ring can't handle it.

Delphinus
04-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Agree with untamed, suspect that pressure is likely the cause. How is the reactor feed arrangement?

I've found that (especially if I was using an older pump on a reactor) I would sometimes have to run a bead of silicone along volute seam. I figure it's better to be inconvenienced if I ever have to open it (and just reseal it afterwards) than have it slowly leaking. So maybe that's an option here... I would still check to make sure there isn't excessive pressure buildup in the reactor though.

Chin_Lee
04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
no pressure other than 2 feet of head. leak was discovered during testing phase. can't imagine the leak rate when it is under pressure...... i might have to do the silicone trick bur i rather not. maybe i'll try to get a slightly bigger o-ring to see if it works.

Tom R
04-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Chin

These little set backs are a bit taxing but all part of the fun of doing DIY. I have 2 Sedra 9000 running on my ASM G5 and they are in the sump. They probably leak as well. I use silicone on most of my threaded fittings. I have tried to use Teflon tape but it usually leaks as well. A very light coating of silicone usually does the trick.

Tom R