PDA

View Full Version : Adding Corals

MMAX
04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
What is the general rule for adding corals to a tank in terms of how long the tank has been running? I've had mine running since the beginning of February and have been thinking about maybe adding some.

Aquattro
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
What is the general rule for adding corals to a tank in terms of how long the tank has been running? I've had mine running since the beginning of February and have been thinking about maybe adding some.

If you've got the hang of maintaining levels, go for it. Start slow, see how they do.

MMAX
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
What are some good types to start out with?

Aquattro
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Well that all depends on your tank. Size, flow, lighting. Give some details, we can suggest some types.

Myka
04-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Along with Brad's questions, what are the readings of everything you can test for (include salinity and temp)? Do you have coralline growing on your glass yet?

MMAX
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
20 gallon tank, Fluval 305 cannister with spraybar outflow, one Top-Fin 50 powerhead, Coralife 65 skimmer, Coralife 24" 65 watt 50/50 fixture (2 white, 2 actinic 03 blue), salinity usually in the 1.023-1.025 range and temp about 26-27 celcius(80F).

MMAX
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I forgot to add...plenty of coralline growing on the live rocks.

Myka
04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
You should try to keep your salinity a tad more stable. Try topping up twice a day. :)

Has the coralline spread to your glass yet? Personally, I don't like to add corals until there is quarter-sized patches of coralline growing on the glass which indicates the tank is "settling in".

You didn't mention anything about your parameters... pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, etc.

Marlin65
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Feb you should be good to add some mushrooms especially if you have coralline growing. Start with those they are hardy. Then maybe a leather.
Drop the canister in my opinion they cause more trouble than the are worth. Or at least take out the sponge.

MMAX
04-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Why is the cannister trouble?

Myka
04-26-2008, 11:15 PM
You still didn't mention anything about parameters...one of the most important determining factors in whether your tank is ready to sustain corals or not.

Canisters are nitrate factories when used with media or any kind, as they cause huge biological filtration, and that produces nitrates. Not a big deal with freshwater aquariums, but a big issue with reefs. You're best off filling it with live rock rubble.

MMAX
04-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah I've seen guys who take everything out of the cannister and put a couple of chunks of live rock in. Parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0, pH about 8.3, kH 1.8 and I've never tested for phosphates and calcium. I add a capfull of Kent Marine calcium every few days.

marie
04-27-2008, 12:24 AM
...and I've never tested for phosphates and calcium. I add a capfull of Kent Marine calcium every few days.

Never add anything you don't/can't test for it's too easy to overdose.

Get alk, calcium and magnesium test kits. If you want to keep corals these are important things to test for and maintain at certain levels.
Alk should be kept between 7dkh - 10dkh
cal between 380-450
and Mg should be over 1250ppm
These and other trace minerals and elements can be kept up with regular water changes but as your coral collection grows your going to find that you have to supplement with calcium, alk and magnesium additives of some sort

Myka
04-27-2008, 02:08 AM
^ Pretty much what I was going to say. Adding a capful of Kent Calcium every few days, you're going to be SKY HIGH on calcium. I'd suggest you get a Calcium test kit before you add any more.

Adding a photo of your tank MMAX will probably help us to help you as well. With saltwater, we call it Alkalinity instead of KH. Your reading of 8.3 is in dKH, right?

MMAX
04-27-2008, 02:02 PM
It's more like every week, not every few days and usually right after I add water. I didn't even know I was supposed to be testing for phosphates and magnesium and stuff like that.

Pan
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
It's more like every week, not every few days and usually right after I add water. I didn't even know I was supposed to be testing for phosphates and magnesium and stuff like that.
Never put anything in you can't/don't test for :)

Myka
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM

If you want to keep corals you need (should) to. Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium should be tested on a weekly basis and dosed to keep optimum levels. Pick up some good quality test kits like Salifert or Elos so you know you're getting accurate readings.

For Calcium I like to use Kent Liquid Calcium or Turbo Calcium. For Alkalinity I like to use SeaChem Reef Buffer if low pH is an issue (like my tank), or SeaChem Reef Builder if pH isn't an issue. For Magnesium I like to use SeaChem Reef Advantage Magnesium. To suck up phosphates I run a PhosBan Reactor with RowaPhos media in it.

Don't add any more calcium until you get a test kit. It doesn't sound like there is anything in your tank that is using up the calcium to any significant amount, so you're likely quite high on the calcium.

It also depends what kind of salt you're using as some are high in elements, and some are low. What brand of salt do you use?

So basically, your answer for if your tank is ready for corals right now...no, it's not. You need to get some more test kits first, and get your levels all sorted out. Once you've done that, then it sounds like you're ready. :)

MMAX
04-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I use Instant Ocean salt

Myka
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Instant Ocean is low in Calcium, low in Magnesium, and kinda of high in Alkalinity. So you're going to be low in Magnesium as well, and it's possible that the low Calcium in IO has countered the amount of Calcium you've been adding. :)

Let us know when you get some new test kits, and what your new parameters are.

MMAX
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I picked up a Nutrafin Master Test Kit last night. Here's my parameters...Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15 mg/L, Phosphate 0.5 mg/L, Calcium 340 mg/L (it says optimum range is 400-450), pH 8.3, and Alkalinity (KH) 130 mg/L (it says 105-125 is ideal). Temp is 27 celcius and SG is 1.0245. There were no tests for magnesium in the kit I bought.

Cyclo
05-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Heres a little article to help know what to shoot for.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Myka
05-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I picked up a Nutrafin Master Test Kit last night. Here's my parameters...Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15 mg/L, Phosphate 0.5 mg/L, Calcium 340 mg/L (it says optimum range is 400-450), pH 8.3, and Alkalinity (KH) 130 mg/L (it says 105-125 is ideal). Temp is 27 celcius and SG is 1.0245. There were no tests for magnesium in the kit I bought.

Your nitrates and phosphates are definately on the high side for a reef tank. Are you having any algae issues? It really would help if you posted a pic of your tank. Is that possible?

And it looks like you weren't adding as much Calcium as it sounded like you were! Time to boost up the Calcium! I keep my Calcium around 410-425 ppm, and it works well. It would be a good idea to up your salinity just a bit too to 1.025-1.026 as corals prefer a higher salinity.

MMAX
05-03-2008, 02:50 AM
I tried taking some pictures of my tank but they don't seem to turn out too good. I definately don't have an algae problem.

Myka
05-03-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm surprised that you don't have any algae issues since your phosphates and nitrates are at considerable levels. I would consider running some phosphate media (like PhosBan or RowaPhos). There are a lot of contributing factors to nitrate (and phosphate), and it's too late for me to write a book about it... :lol: