PDA

View Full Version : tang help needed

Swags
04-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi All,
I am just in the process of finishing setting up a 180 gallon tank.... I have questions about tangs. I bought 3 juvenile tangs; mimic, naso, and brushtail (all about 2"). They are all very happy, grazing all day, and getting fat. I have another tang in a 75, I do not know the name, I have spent hours looking for an id and am stumped what type she is... and I bought the 180 for her! ( she is about 5") So my dilema is, how will she react to the juvi's? Will she kick the crap out of them... if thats the case I will remove them first, I really do not want to be in a desperate situation trying to catch a beat up fish, in a 180 with 200 lbs of live rock and corals. I purposely added the small ones first to avoid any aggression, but am now second guessing myself. Any ideas, and thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Phil

Joe Reefer
04-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Can you take a picture of the mystery tang?

untamed
04-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Of course, it depends on what kind of Tang your mystery girl is... Assuming she is NOT a Naso...she's likely to ignore the juvenile Naso....but likely to treat the others badly.

However, she might be OK since the little guys have been in the tank longer... She'll be the new fish and I expect that she'll be less aggressive because of that.

Zoaelite
04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Of course, it depends on what kind of Tang your mystery girl is... Assuming she is NOT a Naso...she's likely to ignore the juvenile Naso....but likely to treat the others badly.

However, she might be OK since the little guys have been in the tank longer... She'll be the new fish and I expect that she'll be less aggressive because of that.

Second part of that took the words right out of my mouth.
Levi

Swags
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your help, just confirmed what I was thinking. I will post a pic tonight of the mystery tang (if I can find a camera)... I got her from a friend when he sold all his livestock, and she is stunning, a zebra stipe pattern with blues and reds, almost looks like a discus. She only does it when she sees the color from the TV. Usually she is light grey with a verticle white stripe between the body and her back fin! Thanks again for your help, and I will try and post a pic for ID.

Cheers!

Jason McK
04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Sound more like and Angel than a tang.

You can try LiveAquaria.com (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15) for a ID

fishoholic
04-27-2008, 01:13 AM
I have six different tangs in my tank the best thing to do is to add them all at the same time, however if you can't do that, add the most aggressive one last.