PDA

View Full Version : JL order

Darth Wader
04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok so I ordered a Phosban reactor and a TUNZE 9005 skimmer for my new nano tank from JL and when I got it today I opened the box and the skimmer was obviously used. Has anybody ever had this happen before?

bassman
04-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Not from J&L no. Usually great service.

Darth Wader
04-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Yea it usually is. I have ordered before and its always been good. They want me to take pictures and email them to 'em. I'm pretty upset that they didnt inspect it before they sent it to me.

bassman
04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Ya that sucks, I am sure they will make it right.

Darth Wader
04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Yea hopefully. I will take some pics tonight and send it to them and hope they say they will replace it. Just kinda a hassle to have to go through all that.

tharkema
04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Just did an order from them about 1 week ago and bought lots of stuff... No problems at all... would recommend again.. and sure they will fix the problem.

banditpowdercoat
04-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I bought a Temp controller once, that was not functioning. The sensor was covered in scale buiildup form a tank. Definately used. Must have been a previous return. Sent back and got new one promptly. Now, this wasnt from JL, but Im sure it happens to all the stores. Someone returns something, either they dont want it, or broken. BUT, not everyone is honest about why they returning it. Could be someone returned cause they were "Funished" with it LOL Or, it wasnt big enough for them?

Jason McK
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Was the manufature tape still sealing the box or could you not tell

J

Myka
04-25-2008, 02:17 AM
They want me to take pictures and email them to 'em. I'm pretty upset that they didnt inspect it before they sent it to me.

They ship out hundreds of items everyday. There is NO WAY they can inspect every single thing that goes out, it would take too many man hours. Yes, there are sometimes problems, and when there is they are very good about making it right. Of course they want you to take pictures, otherwise every Joe Blow out there could scam them. They have good policies in place, and stand behind every item they sell.

My bet...the skimmer you have now was returned on warranty, and ended up getting put on the shelf by accident instead of in the warranty bin. Mistakes happen...humans are not machines. ;)

As far as the box being opened before or not, customers often want to take a look at what they're buying or what they're interested in, so it wouldn't be odd to get a box that had the original tape cut. :)

Darth Wader
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
So I sent the pictures and called them yesterday. Talked to one of the guys that worked there and he was very upset that a used skimmer had been sent to me. He was quite helpful and is sending me a new skimmer along with a ups slip to send the used one back to them so I don’t have to pay. Very helpful and very friendly with the whole situation. I’m happy with the customer service they have given me in fixing this problem.

Myka
04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I figured. :)

Jason McK
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Great to hear

J

Darth Wader
04-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Yea I'm glad it all worked out, and they were very helpful making sure it did.
As for your statement Myka
"They ship out hundreds of items everyday. There is NO WAY they can inspect every single thing that goes out, it would take too many man hours. " Thats a pretty crazy thing to say. J&L runs a great online store and I've never had an issue but if doing a job properly would take to many man hours then they need to hire more people or take less orders. Simple as that! You cant do something wrong or incorrectly due to it taking "to many man hours". If I did my job improperly and blamed it on an excuse like that I would be out the door before I even finished telling them that. That’s just my opinion about it.

Darth Wader
04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Having said that, it is an understandable error and I'm happy it was resolved. And this will by no means stop me from placing orders with them

Brent F
04-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Having said that, it is an understandable error and I'm happy it was resolved. And this will by no means stop me from placing orders with them

If anything, it gives me confidence in their post sales support. Sounds like they dealt with things in the best way possible.

Myka
04-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Thats a pretty crazy thing to say. J&L runs a great online store and I've never had an issue but if doing a job properly would take to many man hours then they need to hire more people or take less orders. Simple as that! You cant do something wrong or incorrectly due to it taking "to many man hours". If I did my job improperly and blamed it on an excuse like that I would be out the door before I even finished telling them that. That’s just my opinion about it.

Look in any industry, once a company reaches a certain size (and often right from the very first day) they don't inspect every item. Do you think every TV, DVD player, and digital camera that Future Shop sells is inspected? No they aren't. You buy it, you take it home, you inspect it, and try it out. If it doesn't work or you notice it's scratched, you take it back. That is a very common procedure.

Ask them at J&L, they'll tell you exactly what I just did.

VFX
04-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Does it matter how busy the store is?

IMO there's no excuse for selling used items as new.

Protocols & procedures should be in place for returned items to prevent them being sent out again without inspection.

Frankly, being busy is not a valid excuse.

I understand that new items may not be inspected, but every returned or used item is supposed to be inspected & then either sent back to the manufacturer, re-conditioned or re-sold with appropriate labeling (box opened, re-conditioned item etc.).

If a fridge, microwave oven or kettle was returned used it would be obvious, therefore it wouldn't be sold to a customer until it has been through some kind of reconditioning.

If a digital camera or laptop was returned, would it be sent back out with a memory card full of somebody else's images or a hard drive full of somebody's documents?

A skimmer that has been used is also obvious & should not have been boxed up & placed back amongst normal stock.

In any case J&L made a mistake and have rectified it.

It's just that IMO a mistake like this should & could have been avoided in the first place.

Sebae again
04-26-2008, 04:12 AM
I have a habbit of looking in boxes to see if things look okay. This developed as a result of purchasing a 10 year old Weed Eater from Walmart, being sold the same defective kitchen faucet twice ! and buying an empty $ 60 bottle of perfume for my wife for Christmas and as if I didn't feel bad enough,I was treated like a criminal by the store employees and manager when I asked to exchange it the next day. So things do slip through do to human error but the most important thing is how well that company handles the situation and it sounds like J&L did their upmost.

bv_reefer
04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
i know there staff are always very reasonable and helpful, i figured they'd work it out quickly

Rippin
04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
You buy it, you take it home, you inspect it, and try it out. If it doesn't work or you notice it's scratched, you take it back. That is a very common procedure.

Sorry, it may be common but I don't find that acceptable.

I've had very good service from J&L, and mistakes do happen, but let's put aside that and talk in general terms.

Businesses shouldn't strive to be mediocre and consumers should expect the best possible service/product (within reason). No one expects them to be perfect, but we do expect them to take the necessary steps to correct and improve in problem areas. Our desires to become better is what fuels innovation and success. If we were all like "meh, it will do", we'd still be living in caves (yes a bit dramatic...)

It's great that businesses like FS and J&L will take returns without a hassle, but my time is very valuable and the less I have to spend with returns, the better.

But with all this said, the original OP should have just contacted J&L immediately, and the problem would have been resolved in an instant.

Myka
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I had better not comment in this thread anymore...it's obvious there are a lot of customers in this thread, and very few people with business/managerial experience that have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. No offense intended.

[/lastpost]

Rippin
04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I had better not comment in this thread anymore...it's obvious there are a lot of customers in this thread, and very few people with business/managerial experience that have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. No offense intended.

[/lastpost]

Ah, so those with "business/managerial experience" knows what's best for the consumer. :lol:

Doug
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
But with all this said, the original OP should have just contacted J&L immediately, and the problem would have been resolved in an instant.

Agreed.

And with that lets leave this one be.

:smile: