PDA

View Full Version : aquasafe RODI units questions

cwickham
04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
just wondering if anyone uses these... are they good or bad, and do they come with their RO membrane or do you have to buy it separate
thanks
craig

christyf5
04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I've had one for about 5 years. I like it. They do come with the RO membrane filters and everything you need to get it running. Depending on the water in your area the RO membranes can last for up to 2 years or longer. I change out the DI and filters every 6 months or so on mine :biggrin: Buying an extra case of filters from them is also very worth it as they're about the cheapest deal online.

cwickham
04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
thanks, thats exactly what i needed to hear.

JOEL
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
They work great and cheap.

swiseman
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
They are not bad, but they do need some modifications for marine tank usage. Since they use 5 micron sediment filters, the first step is to go to a local hardware store and buy a 1 micron sediment. Why settle for 5 when you can have 1. The second and third chamber should probably be replaced as well. They use granular activated and crushed coconut shell carbon. These are less than optimal as well. The purpose of the carbon is to reduce the organic material, metals, and most importantly chlorine from coming into contact with the RO membrane. Chlorine can destroy the RO membrane. The next thing you need to do is remove or add a tee to the 6th stage if your unit has one. This is the taste filter that adds TDS back to the water so it has some sort of taste. You should take the water directly from the 5th stage which is the DI resin.

I have compared the Aquasafe RO membrane to the Spectrapure membane line for line on their respective web pages and there is no difference in the two. Some things are filteres better by Aquasafe and some are better with the Spectrapure. It is a wash really.

Having said all that, by the time you replace the filters with the proper ones and add a pressure guage which is essential you might as well buy a unit that is already set up for aquarium use. There is a great product by Purely H20. It is called the Optima (see link at bottom)

The last thing you need to do is find out if your municipality uses chloromine in their treatment process. If they do then you will need to look at a unit that include a catalytic carbon so the chloromines can be removed.

http://www.reefperfection.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=473

xtreme
04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I bought mine from melevsreef.com and its been good to me so far. Looks to be about the same price as the ones on ebay.

mark
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
I've been running a un-modified Aquasafe for a couple of years.

Been replacing the pre-filters and DI but looking like time to replace the RO membrane as the output has dropped.

midgetwaiter
04-23-2008, 02:59 AM
I have compared the Aquasafe RO membrane to the Spectrapure membane line for line on their respective web pages and there is no difference in the two. Some things are filteres better by Aquasafe and some are better with the Spectrapure. It is a wash really.

This is so completely wrong.

First, if you buy a Sectrapure unit then then initial little trip to the store to buy new pre filters doesn't have to happen. Also consider that those nice little string wound micron filters are only $7 but if you look closely at the label it is only 90% effective. Good prefilters will be more expensive wherever you go.

Also consider that the membranes are completely different. The worst membrane Spectrapure sells has a 96% rejection rate, Aquasafe is only 90% So if our source water has a TDS of 200 the Spectrapure will be passing water with a TDS of 8 to the DI and the Aquasafe a TDS of 20. The Spectrapure DI should last at LEAST twice as long, probably longer with the Max Cap DI.