PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Test Kits

Joe Reefer
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Can someone please fill me in on the problems that were reported with the Salifert brand kits? Is it just the Alk kit or are there others?

Keana
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I just got a CA test and it's not working.... I've tested many samples of my reef water and mixed salt/water change and by Salifert's test my Ca is literally off the charts! It never changes from pink/red to blue. I've used Salifert for years without a problem. My last bit of Ca test from Salifert gave me a reading of 410 and that used the last of my CA-3 reagent so now I'm stuck with this new/dead test kit. After what I have read about these tests lately and after this dud test kit I am no longer going to use them. The quality seems to be going down hill, and rapidly.

Treebeard
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
This is news to me. What problems were reported? Where did you hear this?

Can someone please fill me in on the problems that were reported with the Salifert brand kits? Is it just the Alk kit or are there others?

fkshiu
04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
The guy who runs Salifert in the Netherlands, Habib, had some health issues and was MIA for months. As a result, the quality in some batches of test kits went south since it appears that Salifert is pretty much a one man operation. I believe he came back and the problems were addressed, but there are still bad kits floating around. Salifert did have a forum on RC, but I note that it's no longer around.

mark
04-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I only read of the Alk problems.

Last Salifert I got comes with a "Alkalinity Check Solution". (7.0 dKH +-0.3). Now the Check Solution might be something like the fox guarding the hen house as old people might say but guess it would give some confidence in the Testkit if the tests are consistent (and tests 7).

Keana
04-23-2008, 02:56 AM
I love that idea! I hope they have it in all the new tests. I have used Salifert for years and I have been happy. I would like to continue to use them and with the recent problems this check solution would allow some peace of mind.

Bye, keana

Joe Reefer
04-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I cross checked my salifert test kits tonight with new elos kits. Turns out my Alk and Mg are ok but my Ca is a little out +50ppm.

alk 10 dKH
ca 350 ppm
mg 1275 ppm

BTW all the salifert kits are less than a year old.

mark
04-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Last fall had both Salifert and Elos Ca kits and checked then against each other a couple of times about a month apart (and recorded). Once, the Salifert was low by 30, another time both read the same.

Question is, which would be accurate as never got my water tested by a lab (which I hope wouldn't be using hobby kits).

Joe Reefer
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
It would be interesting to see how our hobby kits stack up against an actual lab test.

xtreme
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I've been told Elos is lab grade. Anyone else heard that before?

Johnny Reefer
10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
For Nitrate, I've pretty much always used a Hagen kit because it tells me what I want to see :redface:. Also, I hate trying to get a LEVEL spoonful with other kits. Anyway, I've tossed the Hagen kit in the garbage and will try to use the other brands once again.

I've got a Salifert Nitrate Kit and an Elos Nitrate Kit. Both are within reasonable age. Just tested my FOWLR this AM with both. The Salifert showed a reading of 50+, while the Elos indicates 10 at the most.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this discrepancy?

Thanx much,

Canadian
10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
The Elos reagents are very sensitive to elevated temperatures. If they were stored above (I believe this number is correct) 25 degrees celsius then the reagents degrade and you get a more brownish color from the last reagent. This will cause low readings. Given some of the warm days we had this Summer I wouldn't be surprised if the temperatures of the reagents exceeded 28 degrees regularly. Check with Jesse on the Elos sponsor forum on RC for clarification about the storage temperature. It doesn't seem to get much discussion despite the fact that it destroys the test kit.

For Nitrate, I've pretty much always used a Hagen kit because it tells me what I want to see :redface:. Also, I hate trying to get a LEVEL spoonful with other kits. Anyway, I've tossed the Hagen kit in the garbage and will try to use the other brands once again.

I've got a Salifert Nitrate Kit and an Elos Nitrate Kit. Both are within reasonable age. Just tested my FOWLR this AM with both. The Salifert showed a reading of 50+, while the Elos indicates 10 at the most.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this discrepancy?

Thanx much,

Johnny Reefer
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanx. That's probably it, then. It is a brownish/yellowy colour and my condo gets very hot. Damn. I was liking the result it was showing, hehe.