PDA

View Full Version : South Edmonton Water

Doo
04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Edmonton!

Anyone in Edmonton live on the south end and uses regular tap water for their reef tank??

Thank you!

Flash
04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
southside water is different then west-end water?! I use reg tap water but when I make my salt-mix, I let my water sit for 12-24hours

Doo
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Yah - I think that depending on where you are in the city it may be a bit different - if someone is knowledgeable in the area - please correct me if I am wrong...

SeaShell
04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
The City of Edmonton receives all of it's water from EPCOR. The water in South Edmonton is the same water as the rest of Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, etc. I know because my Department regulates the drinking water in the Province. The only difference may be a slight chlorine difference, as it dissipates toward the outlying areas. But it's a very minor difference and chlorine is injected through the pumping stations to keep it consistent.

mark
04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Have read in different places, (here (http://wetwebmedia.com/water4maruse.htm)being one) that both chlorine and chloramine can be handled simply by aerating.

Before I started bottled water then my own ro/di, that's how I dealt with it when was using tap water (and after the LFS sold me the gallon of Prime)

Doo
04-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Shell, as I recall you use tap water, what is your process???

do you let it sit at all?
when do you treat and when do you mix the salt and when do you top the tank?? (i guess that is the last step!)

please explain to me :)

Thank you!

shizean
04-23-2008, 05:31 AM
why is there a epcore plant up in the west end of edmonton and another one in central edmonton. that would be two different types of water sources in edmonton. unless they have removed the one in central edmonton.

SeaShell
04-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Sorry, Shizean, I was out of town and just saw your question.

There are 12 water reservoirs around Edmonton and they hold millions of litres. Most reservoirs are in neighbhourhoods and the water is pumped out when water demand in the system is greater than the treatment plants can provide. The reservoirs are the back up during high demand periods. They usually fill the reservoirs up at night when water demand is low throughout the city.

All the reservoirs and treatment plants are connected by a distribution system which can feed any part of the city. However, EL Smith in the west end usually supplies west and north Edmonton while Rossdale downtown supplies south and east. If one plant is down for repairs, the other plant can supply enough for the entire city for 1-2 days.

So, long story short, there are two treatment plants but either or both may be supplying your water at any given time no matter where you are in the City. They both use the same "raw" water (the North Saskatchewan River) and use the same processes and additives for disinfection. That's why I feel the water is the same for any location in Edmonton.