PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di

shizean
04-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Does anyone use this method of Ro/DI in edmonton to reduce the algae growth in their reef tank. if so please tell me what they use and what they recomend. i have been trying to get rid of my hair algae problem for months and im just using tap water for water changes so im going to put the extra money in the mayeb get an RO unit. thanks Sean

Black Phantom
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I know some people swear by using tap water but there's just too much unknown about whats in it. Calgary has trace elements of copper in ours which is a huge no-no for a reef. I'm sure Edmonton is the same.
Go online and check out J&L or similar stores to see what they recommend. Then you can pick up something locally if you want.
The water is a big part of hair algae but don't forget other factors like old bulbs, overfeeding, high nitrates, lack of a clean up crew, etc.

digital-audiophile
04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
FWIW I saw a huge reduction in algae when I switched from Calgary Tap water to RO/DI.

shizean
04-22-2008, 05:12 PM
really what do you use and how is it set up?

Pier Pressure
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
We use straight-up tap water and have no hair algae or actually a large amount of ANY algae. Cleaning of the glass every couple of weeks is about all we need to do.

digital-audiophile
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
really what do you use and how is it set up?

I use the aquasafe unit from ebay http://stores.ebay.ca/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop.

I have it hooked up in the basement in the bathroom beside the tank under the sink. Right now I just run it when I need to make up water but I did buy a rain barrel and am planning on hooking up a float valve to keep the resevoir full so I don't have to set a timer and hope I don't forget it and flood the basement :p.

If you need pictures of the setup just let me know :)

shizean
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
actually pictures would help. thanks

digital-audiophile
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Sure, can do when I get home tonight :)

They are very easy to set up, I procrastinated for a long time as I'm not a big DIY kind of guy but when I finally got up the nerve to set it up, I was done in under 1/2 an hour.

shizean
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
thanks!