PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sherwood Park, Alberta.

my3kidsdad
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi I'm new and interested in starting a saltwater tank. My son-in-law, who is into both salt and fresh, advised me to register here and begin to learn about what is involved in deciding what it is we want in our tank, setting up, etc. Jason will be guiding us.

Whew! It is much more involved than I thought. I was just looking at the tank journal page and looked at someone's plumbing setup. Everyone's got something different!

At the moment we want a tank of about 110-140 gal. with live rock, sand, lots of, um, you know those things, the ones that wave, and some of those other ones that look like hands, maybe a crab and a starfish, and some real fish too.

I think it's gonna be interesting. Nice to meet you all.

Parker
04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

digital-audiophile
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome :)

Read and ask lots of questions. There are many different thoughts on what it takes to keep a reef tank.. you just need to sort through the info and figure out what works best for you.

my3kidsdad
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi. I was just thinking that my woodworking hobby will come in handy sooner or later. I see the tank stands are heavily built here. That makes sense.

mseepman
04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Welcome to Canreef. You've come to the right place...I can't tell you how much money, mistakes, pain and suffering I would have saved if I came here before my first tank.

JOEL
04-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome to canreef

Treebeard
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll second that!

Welcome to Canreef. You've come to the right place...I can't tell you how much money, mistakes, pain and suffering I would have saved if I came here before my first tank.

Lance
04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
WELCOME :biggrin:

Brent F
04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Welcome. I have found this board so helpful for answering questions. It is also a great way to meet fellow local hobbyists and to get some great deals on livestock and equipment.

angelfan
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Me Too!

Whatigot
04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
welcome to Canreef, the gentleman who led you here has done you a service by easing the learning curve involved in aquaria.
Great to have you.
welcome.

fishoholic
04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Welcome :biggrin:

mark
04-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Welcome.

Just remember there's lot's of ways to run a successful tank, part of the fun/your challenge is going to be picking one.

my3kidsdad
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
welcome to Canreef, the gentleman who led you here has done you a service by easing the learning curve involved in aquaria.
Great to have you.
welcome.

Thank you all for your welcome. You are very encouraging.

That gentleman you refer to is my son-in-law, Jason Miller. He has a number of great looking tropical and salt tanks and we have fallen in love with them. Time to begin the journey.

Looking at how big we can go with the space we have in mind. Would like to see a six foot tank against our divider wall. Probably with an under-tank sump tank using a tower inside the main drilled tank to connect. We want the tank as close to the wall as possible.

mark
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Looking at how big we can go with the space we have in mind. Would like to see a six foot tank against our divider wall. Probably with an under-tank sump tank using a tower inside the main drilled tank to connect. We want the tank as close to the wall as possible.

Or cut out your divider wall and make viewable from both sides.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/tank1.jpg

my3kidsdad
04-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Mark- that is a beautiful example you have there. Actually we have today looked againa and found that the tank must be moved to against our railing next to our front stairs. Then we just move the furniture forward two feet or so and viola!

We are thinking 72"x24"x24" on a stand with a sump tank underneath.Thinking of building a tank from scratch. For a six foot tank, do we need 1/2" glass or do we need thicker?

angelfan
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
I didn't build them myself but I have two 220's (72x24x30) one of which is 1/2" and the other is 5/8" so I'd say either or will do as long as we're talking glass and not acrylic. Acrylic I don't know.
May I suggest the use of starphire glass? I wish all of mine were starphire but once you buy it, it's too late.
I plan on building my next tank out of starphire as it is not green at the ends and also makes for a better view. More initial cost but I would say its worth it. Just a thought:wink:

mark
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks.

Never built an aquarium but do a google search for "aquarium glass thickness" and there a bunch of links (here's one (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm)). Mine's a little short of 6' and see the long panes are 3/8" (Starfire if that makes a difference) and the ends are 1/2".

Have you seen KrazyKuch and Michika's build thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40757)?

my3kidsdad
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I didn't build them myself but I have two 220's (72x24x30) one of which is 1/2" and the other is 5/8" so I'd say either or will do as long as we're talking glass and not acrylic. Acrylic I don't know.
May I suggest the use of starphire glass? I wish all of mine were starphire but once you buy it, it's too late.
I plan on building my next tank out of starphire as it is not green at the ends and also makes for a better view. More initial cost but I would say its worth it. Just a thought:wink:

Sorry never heard of starphire glass.. ... where do you find it? lol. You know someone with it and it looks good?

fishguyxd
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Welcome
It is a real learning experience ,but "don't rush" look around at the corals and fish you want to get see if they will work together. Ask questions there are alot of different tank setups around from the basic to the adding of all the bells and whistle's there is always someone in the forum selling something that will help you get started and and answer those questions the library also has a few good books too.

my3kidsdad
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Welcome
It is a real learning experience ,but "don't rush" look around at the corals and fish you want to get see if they will work together. Ask questions there are alot of different tank setups around from the basic to the adding of all the bells and whistle's there is always someone in the forum selling something that will help you get started and and answer those questions the library also has a few good books too.

I do not even know what the "bells and whistles" are. lol. I am thinking of tank stands right now. Six foot tank stands and wondering if there is a thread showing different designs?

mark
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Sorry never heard of starphire glass.. ... where do you find it? lol. You know someone with it and it looks good?

It's a low iron glass and is noticeably less green. I got it for mine though of course would only be looking through one side at a time into the tank where it might not make that much difference, figure since it's also dividing the room and would be seeing through both panes...

mark
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM
wondering if there is a thread showing different designs?

lot's of pictures here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1355576)

mark
04-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Also take a look here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11853). Remembered Chin_Lee had pictures of his tank against a railing.

my3kidsdad
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Also take a look here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11853). Remembered Chin_Lee had pictures of his tank against a railing.

Thank you again.