PDA

View Full Version : upside down gramma

kwirky
04-22-2008, 02:48 AM
The royal gramma I got last week is still swimming upside down within the rockwork. He comes out for food about 6" from the rocks and stays upside down. could this be something wrong with the fish or because of the bottom being painted white? maybe he's confused which way is up because of it?

When I first got him I figured I'd give a week to see how it goes and now that it's a week I'm wondering if it's permanent.

Myka
04-22-2008, 02:56 AM
I've seen this happen with different Basslets and Dottybacks. It's a swim bladder issue. They come from deeper waters, and some have difficulties adjusting to shallow water. They need to go through a decompression when being collected, and sometimes this is too hurried. Their swim bladders are used to the pressure of the deep water, and in the shallow waters of our aquariums sometimes their swim bladders become bloated from lack of pressure. Apparently you can try to treat them by using a pin to pop them...but I wouldn't try it.

kwirky
04-22-2008, 03:12 AM
I've seen this happen with different Basslets and Dottybacks. It's a swim bladder issue. They come from deeper waters, and some have difficulties adjusting to shallow water. They need to go through a decompression when being collected, and sometimes this is too hurried. Their swim bladders are used to the pressure of the deep water, and in the shallow waters of our aquariums sometimes their swim bladders become bloated from lack of pressure. Apparently you can try to treat them by using a pin to pop them...but I wouldn't try it.

had a feeling it was some sort of swim bladder issue. thanks for seconding the opinion. I don't know if I'd try popping it with a needle myself either. I'll see how it goes

banditpowdercoat
04-22-2008, 04:33 AM
I have read that thats completely normal with Gramma's. They swim on all angles. But completely upsode down.. I am waiting till OA's Grammas are ready, should be this week and then one will come live with me :D

Myka
04-22-2008, 04:36 AM
had a feeling it was some sort of swim bladder issue. thanks for seconding the opinion. I don't know if I'd try popping it with a needle myself either. I'll see how it goes

I just realised that I assumed the fish's belly was bloated. Is it? Can you post a pic?

Scavenger
04-22-2008, 05:06 AM
I am curious about the swimming upside down you described. If the fish is swimming with his belly toward the nearest structure. ie rock, sand, glass etc. THIS IS NORMAL behaviour for a gramma. My gramma would only swim "upright" in the open areas of the tank for the most part. When close to a rock or any other object, it would aline it's belly to that object. I suspect it's due to their tendency to hang out in caves, arches etc.

dogboy
04-22-2008, 04:35 PM
It is normal for them to act this way... my gramma swims upside down about 50% of the time... the rest of the time it swims at alot of other odd angles.... nothing to worry about...

Nate
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Sean,

Completely normal, I have a gramma that I have had for like 4 years, and he spends 90 % of his time upsidedown in "his arch". Grammas are often found in overhangs in the ocean, and are often searching the ceilings for food/shelter, sean if he is eating he is good

Lets make sure we are giving proper information people, if you are not sure what you are talking about...dont jump the gun

Pier Pressure
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
That does not sound normal to me if he is swimming upside down in open water, i.e. coming out to get food upside down. Mine spends most of its time hanging upside down in a rock cave, but when she comes out to eat she does it right side up like any other fish.

Nate
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I think that that would have a lot to do with the competition for food as well in a tank...seans tank is young, so he is likely not feeding many fish, and feeding fairly lightly...coming off the rock that far is not uncommon, and I have about 15 royal grammas in all of the tanks I maintain and they all have similar activities...either way, I would not sweat it Sean, sounds pretty normal

Murminator
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
It's normal mine swims upside down or on his side most of the to get in and around in the rocks 1st time I seen it I thought he was a gonner but it has been in there a couple years and all is ok

kwirky
04-27-2008, 05:42 AM
thanks for the help guys. not too worried any more.