PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a 150 gallon?48x24x30?

Mitchell
03-10-2003, 02:37 AM
I am planning on getting a 48"long24"high30"front to back
If you own one, can you give me your thoughts...the details of the tank...bracing...holes...overflows...ect

Also some PICS would be GREAT

Thanks
Mitchell

Troy F
03-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi Mitchell, welcome to the board. Great choice on tank size too, I'm sure you'll love those dimensions. I've got a 5'x24.5"x24.5" 155gal and I went with the standard center brace. I regret it. I also regret dual overflows and would much prefer one large one in the center with the back drilled. One of the members on the board had his done this way and it's a real nice way of doing things. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quinn
03-10-2003, 04:39 AM
both myself and dez have 150 gal tanks. it was seeing his that convinced me to go with that size, the height is really nice to work with. we both have single corner overflows, i'm not sure about his but i have only one hole, a 2". return will come up the back and over the top. the overflow is smoked glass. i am personally not a fan of centre overflows, to me they take up too much space.

some people advocate not using any braces and instead going with thicker glass all around, but i went with euro-bracing. it's not intrusive at all imo.

the tank was made by inter-american in calgary and cost me $550, and that includes a starphire front (not sure if the sides are starphire or not, i'm waiting for canadian man to tell me when he sees the tank) :) . i picked it up myself, not sure how much shipping to your location would be.

Mitchell
03-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks folks

Any pics??

Doug
03-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Also a welcome Mitchell.

I had a 170. 4ft. by 32w by 24 deep. However it had full bracing on the ends of the tank and in almost a ft. leaving all the center portion open. It was all 1/2in. glass.

I now have a 6ft. by 24w by 30 deep. Its 5/8th glass. Has two- 6in. braces about a 1/3rd of the way across for each. I also have a front Eurobrace as my tanks in a wall.

Mitchell
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks Doug

By the way folks...although I dont post much here, Im not new. I just changed my user name. I was the reefer formally known as coralmorphian :D

Skimmerking
03-10-2003, 02:25 PM
hi there mitch Whats up? I was talking to Scotty and asked him why are you getting another tank. :lol: He laughed He said the same thing. Anyways you should go back to the 180 size if you can I was going to do a 150 5x2x2 but decided top stick with the 280 72x30x30 :? b And now The wife wants to stick it back in to the wall stand and all to have it recessed. :lol: :lol:

Mitchell
03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
call me crazy but the 6 foot legnth just means more stuff to buy. With the 4 footer however, I can use my existing light set up as well as my pump. just trying to keep the costs down a little bit. Beleive me, I dont regret selling the 180. Besides there are a couple of used 150's around right now wich means .........cheaper than full retail. The object of the game right now is " cheap"........ cause after the move we are " broke" :D

Doug
03-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey Mitch,
After I posted, I relized who it was. :lol: You have seen pics of all my stuff already. :)

I think its a nice sized tank. Like mentioned, almost identical to my 170, that was 2in. wider and a little deeper. Actually it was closed to 160. I actually designed that tank to be lit with a single 400w pendant. It worked ok, but was a bit limiting for light.