PDA

View Full Version : hair algae

tgoeujon
04-20-2008, 02:32 AM
what is a good method of removing hair algae. i thought my tangs and salarias blenny would take care of it but they wont touch it. advice appreciated

dstasiuk
04-20-2008, 05:13 AM
In my limited experience, the best way to get rid of it was manual removal, in conjunction with reducing the nutrients available. I had a bad case of it, but a phosphate reactor and macro in my refugium led to it's demise. Having a sufficient size/variety of clean up crew also helps.

I have never had one, but I believe that the best "critter" is a sea hare.

BMW Rider
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I used a pair of stainless forceps to manually pluck it off the rocks. They work well at getting at those little hard to reach bits. Its a lot of work and messy, but if you do it regularly and control your nutrients and you can eliminate it.

danny zubot
04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
I use a lawnmower blennie, and a recently purchased urchin. My regal tang and bi-color nip at it occasionally as well. Nutreint export is always best, but if it get out of hand your could try this Algae Magnet stuff made by Wiess. I've used it before and it works well.

tgoeujon
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
the hair algae came in on a piece of live rock yesterday and my tank must not be a very good place for it. it started to turn white overnight and looks like it is shrinking. hopefully this is a good sign