PDA

View Full Version : distinguishing black ocellaris and black percula..not the same??

kaboom
04-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I need clarification from some expert clownfish owners. A year ago I bought a pair of so called "black perc" and was told that it would develope into a complete black and white fish. The fish is almost two years old now at 2.5" and still has an orange face. The first picture below illustrates how my fish looks.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080322195358/www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/large/lg-90001-clownfish.jpg

This one with pitch black face is what I was expecting. Clearly there is a difference and I can only fathom that they are two different species. This is contray to my findings on the internet as it distinguishes them as one fish. Can experienced owners please help clarify?

http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/8656692EBC4541278EE576A9C3B89B18E.jpg

Kabong
04-19-2008, 05:25 PM
There is only a black ocellaris
It's called a black perc quiet often though and sometimes a Darwin clown.
Darwin because the only place in the world they are found in the wild is Darwin Australia.

When I got mine he looked like the "Juvenile"
He darkened as he grew to the point where he looked like the adult.
I'd say he probably stayed like that for at least 6 months before the orange darkened to the point where he looks like the bottom one.

However, I don't believe all will darken some may retain their colored face.

christyf5
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd be interested in knowing which you have as I love the little orange faces. I've often remarked at OA that the juveniles are so cute with the orange, I wish they would stay that way. Wendell does have a pair of completely black ones in his display tank and I always assumed they were the same kind as the juvenile ones.

Willito
04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
some may not go complete black

kaboom
04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd say he probably stayed like that for at least 6 months before the orange darkened to the point where he looks like the bottom one.

However, I don't believe all will darken some may retain their colored face.

Body has been black for a year, face has remain dirty orange since. Maybe you're right, not all will go black/white.

kaboom
04-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd be interested in knowing which you have as I love the little orange faces. I've often remarked at OA that the juveniles are so cute with the orange, I wish they would stay that way. Wendell does have a pair of completely black ones in his display tank and I always assumed they were the same kind as the juvenile ones.

Got my pair from OA and was told it would turn to look like their displayed ones. Still dreaming for that day to come.

After looking at the pictures more carefully, it does appear that the all black/white ones do seem to have more narrow white bands. Could it be different variant?

Chipie
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I've got 4 of those, 2 have orange faces 2 are all black. Their white bands are the same size. From what i remember, when they were young, the ones that had the brightest orange in the face kept it orange. The other two(all black now) had an orange face but not has bright.

VFX
04-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hijack a thread with a dumb question but, has anyone tried introducing a black/white ocellaris to a tank with a regular one?

Would they pair up ok?

kaboom
04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
How long have you had them and what size are they now?
Have they paired up yet? Any aggression amoungst the four?

Chipie
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi,
Sure a regular (ocellaris) would npair with a black and white one. They are the same except for the color.

I have 2 pairs but each in different tanks. I had a pair of regular Ocellaris with one of the black and white pair for a while but i guess i did too good a job of keeping them appart. One of the black and white as started to become a female so a war started between thew 2 pairs. I sadly had to get rid of the orange pair. If not they would have killed the black and white ones which are still small. (2 inches max.)

Myka
04-19-2008, 09:09 PM
A. ocellaris = False Percula
A. percula = True Percula

Most times people drop the "false" part when advertising the fish. If you actually want A. percula, then you need to specify "TRUE Percula". True Percs have more dorsal fin rays, and usually have thicker black lines. Some "crappier" True Percs look just like False Percs in coloring.

The black and white clowns are ALL Ocellaris, but are usually called "Black and white Percula clown". The ones that are jet black are the same species as the ones that have some orange shining through. They do darken with age, but it doesn't take 2 1/2 years, and some will never be jet black. OPs clown will never be jet black. If possible, look at the parents, and if the parents are jet black the chances that the young ones will be jet black is likely. :)

Apparently some people have had Perculas and Ocellaris interbreed, and many are questioning whether they are truely a different species. Personally, I think it's like humans and monkeys. They used to be the same, but some evolved into a different species due to environment, but still share much of the same DNA. Obviously, in the case of these fish the relation is much closer.

Chipie
04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
OPs ??

Kabong
04-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Sorry to hijack a thread with a dumb question but, has anyone tried introducing a black/white ocellaris to a tank with a regular one?

Would they pair up ok?

Heres mine
http://members.shaw.ca/kabong/pics/clowns3.jpg