PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated or not? opinions needed

howdy20012002
04-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Hello all
I need some advice
as some might know, i had a house fire last week and am now dealing with insurance and replacing things that were damaged.
my question is this
in peoples opinion, is the live rock that is in the tanks are in my house contaminated and should it be replaced?
my couch burnt half up and there was alot of soot damage.
my fear is that the the soot landed in the water and has now contaminated every tank in my house.
however, I think that the tank in the basement should be fine because little smoke went downstairs.
so what do u think? do I ask for total replacement of all fish related items on the top 2 floors (where the fire and the most extensive soot damage and smoke) including the LR and livestock within?
or should I just ask for the equipment to be replaced?
the equipment in my opinion needs to be replaced without doubt because they can't clean the soot and smoke damage off without using chemicals which is of course a no - no.
my adjuster said that he would be willing at replacing everything if it is the professional's opinion that the contents of the tanks should be replaced.
thanks for the input
Neal

niloc16
04-19-2008, 06:07 AM
if they will replace it just do that. its really not worth the risk of losing lots of money because of something that happened to the liverock

vazgor
04-19-2008, 06:57 AM
i have too agree
the worst thing is that with these dam tanks you never know it might be a munth b4 any bad signs show up and then what you cant go back and say well i changed my mind get what they'll give you how long have you been paying insurance??
not to mention all the rest of us

SeaShell
04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Neil, did the livestock perish in those tanks, or is it still alive and active? I'd think that if the livestock is fine, the rock is too. But, having said that, Vazgor makes an excellent point and you never know what the next few months will bring.....

If I were you, and if they'll let you do it, I'd have them replace the rock but keep the old stuff in a circulation tank to see if it comes around.

Who are the "professionals" they want you to consult?

mark
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I would cover yourself up front and just replace.

Haven't dealt with insurance companies after a claim is paid off but imagine a hassle to reopen. Also if something goes bad later, then you're trying to proof what happen was due to the fire not your actions after.

Would think a professional that would work would just be getting a letter from a couple LFS.

fishoholic
04-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I would cover yourself up front and just replace.

Haven't dealt with insurance companies after a claim is paid off but imagine a hassle to reopen. Also if something goes bad later, then you're trying to proof what happen was due to the fire not your actions after.

Would think a professional that would work would just be getting a letter from a couple LFS.

I agree, I would get it replaced just to be on the safe side.