PDA

View Full Version : Iwasaki's, how much actinic?

Jack
02-23-2002, 09:49 PM
How much actinic would you need to make a nice white/light greenish/blue look? Specifically one 400 watt Iwasaki, but I am curious on other wattages. I know Christy runs 2x40w NO actinics with 2x250 Iwasakis and It looks great, just check out her website. Im just curious because I will be running a 400 watt 6500k Iwasaki soon. Oh, and Steve, when should I pick up the reflector material? Thanks

Bryan
02-24-2002, 07:02 AM
I run 3 110 watt VHO actinics with a 400 watt Iwasaki and the color is still a bit yellow. Doesn't even compare to a UShio 400 watt 10K which, with the actinics is a pleasing white blue color.

Reefmaster
02-24-2002, 12:51 PM
brian
is that a iwasaki 6500k, and if so is it the infamous R model? and i'm curious what type of ballast its running on. hmm, i would have expected a 10K lamp with that much actinic to be really blue and fme that 6500k if running properly should have been crisp white with a hint of blue. don't we all just love the qualitative description of light colour!
shane

Troy F
02-24-2002, 01:27 PM
I've run both types of Iwasaki's 250W bulb and the difference is amazing. The "R" model is still a little yellow/green but the other model was an obvious yellow. On my new set-up I'm going with 4 vho actinic bulbs and 2x250W Iwasaki. It should provide a pleasing colour.

Reefmaster
02-24-2002, 01:35 PM
hey troy
what type of ballasts. i think that is the key, at least for the 400W we use, cuz we tried the 6500K non-R on cap/coil ballasts and it was GREEN. not a bit yellow, but almost a lime green! just curiuos if you had success with cap/coil ballasts of if yours are electronic.
could be too that the 250W responds differently on the cap/coil than 400's.
shane

Troy F
02-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi Shane, I use the mercury vapour cap/coil ballast on mine.

Reefmaster
02-24-2002, 02:11 PM
hmm, well that'll explain it. images/smiles/icon_redface.gif ) we tried it on a MH cap/coil. hey for interest to others, where did you get the MV ballast?

Bryan
02-24-2002, 03:51 PM
Reefmaster:

The bulb is designated MT400DL/ BH. I am not sure if the 400 watt bulbs have a R version. This is definetely a newer model as the old one did not have a BIG resistor.

I am running it on regular M59 Metal Halide Ballast. If the bulb is run without actinics it is yellow, bt definetly not green.

Yup, everyody's prospective on color is different.

I also find if a tank has a blue background the color looks whiter, as opposed to using a black background.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reefmaster:
brian
is that a iwasaki 6500k, and if so is it the infamous R model? and i'm curious what type of ballast its running on. hmm, i would have expected a 10K lamp with that much actinic to be really blue and fme that 6500k if running properly should have been crisp white with a hint of blue. don't we all just love the qualitative description of light colour!
shane<hr></blockquote>

Bryan
02-24-2002, 03:53 PM
I understand the 400 watt responds differently than the 250 watt when using MV balalsts. Most people from what I have been reading couldn't tell the difference between MH and MV.

I suspect the yellower light may be linked to the TYPE of Mh ballast that was used.

-=Bryan=-

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reefmaster:
hmm, well that'll explain it. images/smiles/icon_redface.gif ) we tried it on a MH cap/coil. hey for interest to others, where did you get the MV ballast?<hr></blockquote>

Troy F
02-25-2002, 04:39 AM
Can't speak for the 400s but I used the different 250 bulbs on the same ballast and there was definately a difference.