PDA

View Full Version : help with colt coral

brutherb
04-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi I am new to this forum so please don't jump down my throat because of my ignorance in reef keeping. Any ways My Colt coral is slowly dwindling sway my other piece is doing fine, but the one is slowly discinigrating. I have a 60G tank live sand bed 100 lbs live rock, lighting is power compact, prizm pro skimmer 4 900 gph kyrobi power heads. I water change ever 2 weeks, I dose 5 ml iodide, 5 ml reef complete, 5 ml reef plus, every week feeding 5 ml each every 2nd 3rd day rotifiers and the nanno's

Snappy
04-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Colts are one of the least problematic corals to keep. If one is fine and one isn't it likely needs to be relocated for some reason. Maybe too much direct flow blowing on it or something. You will need to provide more info for people to help troubleshoot. How old is the tank and corals for example?

brutherb
04-18-2008, 04:57 AM
the tank was an extablished tank when I got it, but I have had it for 6 months or so. I moved it to the other side of the tank under the other pc bulb to see if maybe the bulb is weak. Could that be the issue? I was contiplating buying 2 X250 mh ballasts to upgrade to better lights but I want a larger tank as this one is super crowded, so I don't want to waste the money when I would be upgrading later anyways.

Reefer Rob
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
I had a colt that was doing the same thing, just gradually waisting away. I brought it around by target feeding with phytoplankton.

brutherb
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
can you buy that in liquid form by living reef

Reefer Rob
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I used DT's, try J&L's if they don't have it in Victoria.

Tom R
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
When I first started in the Saltwater hobby I started with a lot of Zoo's. They looked so colourful. I was amazed. I read that they like Iodine so I went out and purchased a bottle of Kent Iodine. I dosed at the level shown on the bottle. Before long the Zoo's started to disappear. I had overdoes the Iodine.

I am not sure if your dosing of Iodine is causing the problem, however you are adding a lot of Iodine. If you read the make up of all the items you are dosing, they all have Iodine in their make up. I would cut back on the dosing and the Iodine for sure.

Tom R

Chowder
04-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Do you have the colt coral by any other coral that would sting or possibly an anemone? What were the corals or inverts that were around it before you moved it?