PDA

View Full Version : Missing Razor Blade

Zoaelite
04-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Well, I was recently cleaning my 65G display and i dropped my 3 inch razor blade into the rockwork. I searched for about 10 mins and then gave up because I couldn't find it. Should I be making the effort to find it and remove it or will i be good just leaving it in there?
Levi

Snappy
04-18-2008, 04:18 AM
You won't have to add iron supplements for awaile.:wink:

Zoaelite
04-18-2008, 04:25 AM
You won't have to add iron supplements for awaile.:wink:

Thanks for that Greg, that Blue tipped Acro and the orange/green acro are doing great by the way!

Delphinus
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Can you try a dragging a mag float around in there? It will rust up pretty quickly.

Zoaelite
04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Can you try a dragging a mag float around in there? It will rust up pretty quickly.

You mean it will pick rust up? I'm confused

Delphinus
04-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Sorry, I mean the blade will rust up real quick, I would try using a magnet to find the blade and pull it out.

Zoaelite
04-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Sorry, I mean the blade will rust up real quick, I would try using a magnet to find the blade and pull it out.

Okay will do, I'm just afraid its in the rock work somewhere so it might be a little harder than that :\
Levi

Delphinus
04-18-2008, 04:40 AM
I've dropped several myself, I know how invisible they get. :neutral: Good luck..

I don't know how bad it is to leave it, my instinct tells me "metal == bad", but who knows.

Zoaelite
04-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Well I'm hoping that Fe isn't considered a "Heavy Metal" but after a little reading I believe if anything It will result in an algae bloom instead of a fish kill off.

woodcarver
04-18-2008, 05:39 AM
If it is a stainless steel blade it wont be magnetic !!
......Dave

justinl
04-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Try the magnet trick first, but if you can't find it, I wouldn't worry about it at that point. Just be careful if you do find a better reason to tear down your rockwork.

My guess is that it will rust until it is completely covered and then it will just sit there since the core metal will be protected b the rust layer from oxidization. or it will just completely corrode. either way i dont think anything bad will come of it except maybe an iron induced algae bloom.

Doo
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I have never had this happen to a SW tank because I am new at it...

I have had it happen in a FW tank though, I used one of those long poles that bend for picking up nuts, bolts & tools when they fall in around your engine while working on your car (hard to explain - go to the link). As far as the blade not being magnetic – test another blade that you have in the pack of blades on a magnet & that will save you some time...

Hope that helps!

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/tools/ullman001%20041.jpg

motokorth
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Good luck hunting for it, just be careful that you dont cut your self.