PDA

View Full Version : What Camera?

Tom R
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I am looking at buying a Camera to take better pictures of my corals.

What Camera do you have?

What Camera would you purchase if you were in the market for a Camera today?

I was looking at the Canon S5IS. Anyone using one of these?

Tom R

BC Mosaic
04-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm no pro and am stilling learning but after doing research I bought a Pentax K10D, 10 mega pixel just before Christmas and just before Pentax came up with a new updated model. For the body I paid roughly $600.00. Best "bang for the buck". I also got a Pentax 100mm Macro which was just as expensive as the body but well worth it. That is my main/only lens when shooting into the tank.
One other very, very important piece of photographic equipment is a good tripod - a real[U]must[U].

To do research on any camera that you may be considering, go here:
http://www.dpreview.com/

HTH

Cheers

Aquattro
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I liked the Nikon D80 and will probably buy one this weekend

BC Mosaic
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Aquattro,
That's a good camera but you're paying an extra $200 - $400 just for the name.

Aquattro
04-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Aquattro,

I didn't get that impression from the reviews, but a leading factor in deciding is that a few friends have the same camera and we can share lenses. :)

Veng68
04-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I am looking at buying a Camera to take better pictures of my corals.

What Camera do you have?

What Camera would you purchase if you were in the market for a Camera today?

I was looking at the Canon S5IS. Anyone using one of these?

Tom R

Hey Tom,

I have the Canon S5IS . I was at the camera meeting a couple weeks back.

If you want to play around with it.......... The next time your at Anthony's house let me know and I can meet up with you there.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

BC Mosaic
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
I didn't get that impression from the reviews, but a leading factor in deciding is that a few friends have the same camera and we can share lenses. :)

The reviews may not give that impression true, but professional photographer friends (who own Nikon) claim that the specs, functions, smarts, etc. are the same in the oft snubbed Pentax as in the Nikon/Canon's high end cameras. These same friends claim that if the Pentax K10D were around at the same time their Nikon camera was available to them to purchase, then they would have bought the Pentax and saved $$ for more equipment/lenses/holidays. BTW, all Pentax lenses are usable on all Pentax models - both new and older ones.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not being arguementative nor do I represent any camera company. We all want to be informed, just like: "Who's a good dealer/seller of marine things?". (Just finished reading the "Review Rant Thread" :wink:)

Bottom line (as for all things aquaria): Research, research, research.

Cheers

Tom R
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Vic

Do you like your Camera and do you get great close up pictures of your corals?

Tom R

Hey Tom,

I have the Canon S5IS . I was at the camera meeting a couple weeks back.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Aquattro
04-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Don't get me wrong; I'm not being arguementative nor do I represent any camera company. We all want to be informed, just like: "Who's a good dealer/seller of marine things?". (Just finished reading the "Review Rant Thread" :wink:)

Bottom line (as for all things aquaria): Research, research, research.

Cheers

Hey, no worries, didn't think you were being argumentative. I did just compare the two and yes, the Pentax has pretty much the same features as the Nikon. Neither seem to excel in any one thing, but very comparable. I guess as a former photograher (back when we used a thing called film:)) I used Nikon, Canon and Pentax, and at that time, Nikon was clearly a better camera. That was a long time ago though, so no idea where things sit today.
Since I know others with the Nikon, it makes sense for me for lens trading, etc, and it is on sale right now! :)

Veng68
04-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi Vic

Do you like your Camera and do you get great close up pictures of your corals?

Tom R

I like my camera but I am still working on getting great close ups. I think you can get pretty decent photos but I need to use a tripod and learn how to use the manual settings.

It does have an aquarium mode....... which works ok but I think my shots could be better.

I bought this camera for traveling because I was not happy with 3X Point & shoot camera that I had and I did not want to bother with a DSLR.

I'd like to get a DSLR one day but in the mean time I can use my sisters D80 :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Slick Fork
04-17-2008, 05:23 AM
I have the sony Alpha 100, got it for Christmas and so far I have been really happy with it. A couple of the major deciding features for me was the Sony has the "super steady" feature built into the camera as opposed to the Nikkon which built it into individual lenses, this means ALL my lenses are "super steady" and not just the ones I paid an arm and a leg for. It's a 10 megapixel camera and the quality seems to be on par with it's competitors, it blew the closest priced canon out of the water and was rated only slightly behind the Nikkon and is quite a bit cheaper. Finally, Sony's lense design came from the merger with Minolta and all Minolta autofocus lenses dating back to the early 90's are compatible with this camera (which happen to include a few I own!!). The back catalog of compatible lenses means that I can shop around for an enormous variety of used lenses at a significant discount!!

spoot
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Aquattro,

I prefer that build quality on the nikon more, as I have a d80. Picture quality wise, most dslr's of the same level are pretty much the same.

Tom, if you aren't interested in a dslr, most digital cameras will take nice pictures, as most have a macro mode. Try looking for one with a big optical zoom, as the digital zoom not actually zooming (just scales and crops).

Puff
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
hi tom :)

i have the Canon S5IS. it's a decent camera, but i recently bought one that is waaay better. and takes much better macro shots!

i went with the Canon A650IS. it is smaller than the S5IS, but has 12.1 mega pixels. also takes AMAZING macro shots from within 1cm!! you can get the lens right up on the thing and it still takes crystal clear pictures! it even has an "aquarium" setting and underwater setting. not to mention numerous others. even a "kids and pets" setting. makes setting things up REALLY easy.

once i switched cameras i had people asking what camera i was using and started getting nominations for picture of the month (on other sites...lol). im not a great photographer, but this camera can make it seem that way.lol.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/Reef%204/March8006.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/Reef%204/March8007.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/april%20reef%20pics/aprilreef087.jpg

christyf5
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice pics Puff! :biggrin:

So wheres your entries for the POTM? :razz:

wickedfrags
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
All the photos I have taken in the last year and half have been taken with the Canon S3IS, 6MP Ultrazoom (including all those on the site)

Puff
04-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice pics Puff! :biggrin:

So wheres your entries for the POTM? :razz:

noone ever nominates me for POTM :(

i wouldnt want to be a geek and enter myself.hahahaha

Tom R
04-18-2008, 01:58 AM
What setting do you use to get those pictures?

Tom R

All the photos I have taken in the last year and half have been taken with the Canon S3IS, 6MP Ultrazoom (including all those on the site)

christyf5
04-18-2008, 02:46 AM
noone ever nominates me for POTM :(

i wouldnt want to be a geek and enter myself.hahahaha

POTM (photo of the month) isn't done by nomination, you enter your photo like a contest. Its the TOTM (tank of the month) that is done by nomination (or entering as well) but its not a contest.

So send your photos in!! :wink:

Tom R
04-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi Puff

I brought a Canon S5IS home and all though its a very nice camera the 8 MP 20 x zoom is better suited for holiday scenery. I took it back and now have a Canon G9 12MP 6 x zoom. This is more in line with the A650IS. What setting are you using in the pictures you have attached above.
Do you take top down pictures and what setting do you use for them.

Tom R

hi tom :)

i have the Canon S5IS. it's a decent camera, but i recently bought one that is waaay better. and takes much better macro shots!

i went with the Canon A650IS. it is smaller than the S5IS, but has 12.1 mega pixels. also takes AMAZING macro shots from within 1cm!! you can get the lens right up on the thing and it still takes crystal clear pictures! it even has an "aquarium" setting and underwater setting. not to mention numerous others. even a "kids and pets" setting. makes setting things up REALLY easy.

once i switched cameras i had people asking what camera i was using and started getting nominations for picture of the month (on other sites...lol). im not a great photographer, but this camera can make it seem that way.lol.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/Reef%204/March8006.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/Reef%204/March8007.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/davewjwright/april%20reef%20pics/aprilreef087.jpg

Shipwreck
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I just picked up a Rebel XT and I really like it and I don't even know how to use it properly yet. I like the idea of being able to change the lenses to suit the situation. Even thought the lenses are expensive once I buy some they will be compatible with a body upgrade if I ever decide to.

Murminator
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm with Tom i was stuck between the IS and the G9....I went with the G9 it the best non-DSLR out there....I wanted a SLR but the wife wouldn't know how to use it

Delphinus
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I work with a guy who has the G9 and an Ikelite housing .. his dive pictures are spectacular!!! I'd totally look into that one if I was in the market.

I have a Nikon though. I looked at the D80 but in the end went with the D70s. Slightly older so got a wicked deal and it's definitely a lot of camera. And I get to reuse the glass from my old film SLR. Definitely a plus!

Marlin65
04-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I shoot a Canon 30D on land and a Sony F717 with Ikelite case under water.
You should buy a DSLR for the lenses as you upgrade the body.:wink:
Sounds like your G9 is right for you I shot my Sony F717 for a long time and have some great pictures. It is classified as SLR like you just can't change the lens. The K10 has great reviews as it has the weather seals. The Sony 100 is not bad either, but it all comes back to the glass you put in front of it. When I chose my camera I liked the Canon best for the lens choices.
I shoot a EFS 17-55 for everyday and a 100 macro for close up.
You know what they say though its not the camera that takes the great pictures, but the guy taking the shot.:biggrin:
PS I like that Nikon 12 MP hand held it looks like a nice point and shoot.