PDA

View Full Version : reverse osmosis

fiorano
04-15-2008, 11:45 PM
how bad is it to use just ro water because i had a whole garbage can mixed up and i tested it and its full of nitrites and ammonia and all that. so i gues my tap water purifier filter is all done. but i have an ro so could i just use that water for a water change? because im gojng on a 2 week holiday and i wanna do a large water change before i go

BMW Rider
04-16-2008, 03:06 AM
I would try cleaning the container and sterilizing it. It most likely that your container is contaminaed with bacteria not the RO unit failing to filter it out. It is critical to keep the container clean since RO has no chlorine to prevent bacterial growth.

fiorano
04-16-2008, 05:36 AM
i meant i was using a tap water purifier before and was wondering if its allright to use jusr ro and not ro/di

Gools
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I used RO for years with no problems. I added a DI chamber a couple years ago. I saw no difference. Right now I am using Just RO for my start up, but once my tank is going I will put back on the DI.

I had one guy argue me that you have to use them (DI). I guess it's RO/DI, if you don't have it then you better use tap water.

marie
04-16-2008, 02:50 PM
All I've ever used on my tanks is RO water

Lance
04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I use RO water as well. TDS 3ppm

Black Phantom
04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I think if your TDS is fairly low you can use an RO with no problems. Mine is very high so I use the DI filter to knock it down to zero. Otherwise it's around 8 with just RO