PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans

rossb
03-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Well I built my new top and it is working very well. It is a bit hot so I think I have to add a couple of cooling fans. Does anyone know where to get a 2" or 3" 120V cooling fans?

Bob I
03-08-2003, 09:38 PM
How about Princess Auto, or Radio Shack, or other Electronic suppliers?

TRS
03-08-2003, 11:22 PM
On other boards, I have read that the Rototron fans are the most quiet, but cannot seem to locate them here in Canada. I bought my two fans from Dan @ MOPS. They are Coralife and fairly quiet too. You might want to send him an email. I also noted that J&L sells a 4" fan with 4' cord on their web site for $39.95 CAD, but not sure of the quality. You might email them as well.

Kelly

Canadian Man
03-08-2003, 11:24 PM
On other boards, I have read that the Rototron fans are the most quiet, but cannot seem to locate them here in Canada. I bought my two fans from Dan @ MOPS. They are Coralife and fairly quiet too. You might want to send him an email. I also noted that J&L sells a 4" fan with 4' cord on their web site for $39.95 CAD, but not sure of the quality. You might email them as well.

Kelly

Hey guys. The ones that j/l sells are basically the coralife fans. I use two of them and they are quiet. I just hook them up to my actinic ballast coards and they come on with my actinics. Great fans and saves me having another plug and timer.

Delphinus
03-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Princess Auto is where I got a whole bunch of 110V box fans. You can also get them at Bumper Crop, or QUick Grow, or ....

That said, the Orions I have in m 72g are hands-down the most quiet 110VAC fans I've ever seen and I'll probably not use any other fans from now on. But the downside is you have to MO them from Allied Electric from the U.S., and they cost about $35Cdn ea. when all is said and done. If you're interested in pursuing these let me know and I will get you the part #'s and such. Or you could do a search on "Orion" fan at RC. If you find the thread that Randy Holmes-Farley started, all you'll need to know is in there. I figure, anything that makes RHF happy is good enough for me. :)

rossb
03-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the coments. I am going to have a look at princess auto for a quick fix and consider others later. My temperature has gone up to about 29.2 degrees from 27.5, what would be a bad temperature?

some pics
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/closed.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/open.jpg

With the lid open all the way it is too bright to take a picture of.

Delphinus
03-09-2003, 07:54 PM
I forgot to mention, the Orion fans came within 3 or 4 days. I was amazed how fast they arrived for MO from the U.S.

29 is probably about as warm as I personally would like my tanks to get, 29 in and of itself doesn't worry me, but it's right at the threshold -- any warmer and I'm worried. I should mention I have had swings that the tank got warmer and most things were able to weather that ... except for the clams.

You could also just take a wee clip-on desk fan and blow it onto your sump's water surface, this will increase evaporation obviously, but it works amazingly to keep temps from getting too warm. Something to try if the temp is getting a little too far up for your liking.

BTW, the hood looks VERY nice. :)

Canadian Man
03-09-2003, 07:58 PM
I have to agree with Tony as well. I would feel quite uncomfortable having my temp go up or any higher than that.
Maybe take the panels off your stand and use the fan like tony mentioned till you can get some fans.

Bob I
03-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Well I am jiggered if I can figure that top out. Is it slanted? Are the two pendants under there too? One can see a difference of color between the two sides, so I think the pendants are under there. Or did you take the bulbs out of the pendants, and mounted them under the top? So many questions. :?

AJ_77
03-09-2003, 09:00 PM
That looks very nice, Ross. You open for viewings?

:wink:

rossb
03-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Bob I was trying to avoid a square top so it is angled at 22.5 degrees all round. I took the lights out of the pendants and mounted them in the hood with 2 4' VHO's, 2 4' NO's and 2 3' actinics. Both front panels are on hinges and lift up for access. I coated the inside with spectral aluminum. The tank looks much better with the shiny aluminum.

Alan I am looking for the little crab ( I saw him Friday). As soon as I can locate him I'll give you a shout.

Bob I
03-09-2003, 09:56 PM
I am too dumb for words. I still don't get it. I guess I will wait until you hold a viewing. :D

rossb
03-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Ok, I'll have to arrange a visit then... :D