PDA

View Full Version : Emergency bio media needed in Surrey, BC

Megalodon
04-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently hurt my tank after added recharged Purigen. It's believed there were traces of bleach still left in it. A thread on this topic can be found here... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12326183#post12326183

After many water changes I thought I had the problem solved, however, things still continued to deteriorate. I tested ammonia, and it's fine. I tested nitrites, and it's extremely high. Like, at the highest range of the test kit.

This would explain why my fish died and my mushrooms are still shrivelled up.

While I'm trying to find out the toxicity levels of chlorine on ammonia-eating bacteria and nitrite-eating bacteria, I still need to correct his problem ASAP. Water changes alone probably will not help me.

Does anyone have some good bio media they can sell me? I can pick it up tomorrow evening (April 15.)

Please, this is very important. Thanks.

pet-lover
04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
go to JLaquatics or ocean aquatics, whichevers close. and pick up some or alot of carbon, and continue with the water changes every 48 hours.

angelfan
04-15-2008, 01:51 AM
u said it pet-lover, thats what i would try

Megalodon
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Carbon removes nitrites?

I've since learned that nitrites aren't very toxic in saltwater, so I'm not worrying about it so much now. Ammonia is now my main concern. The test kit I'm using might be giving me a false 0 so I'm getting a new one.

pet-lover
04-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Carbon is supposed to take good and bad chemicals out (meaning if your dosing trace elements, or calcium etc.) but it also takes or im certain it takes ammonia, nitrites, and possibly nitrates(dont think so)

but its only support.

Water changes are best for it though.

Good Luck

VFX
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Maybe throw some Poly-Filer (http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm) in there as well as water changes?

pet-lover
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Ive used that stuff, good stuff. change every week or less for saltwater tanks though.

Vins724
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Carbon removes nitrites?

I've since learned that nitrites aren't very toxic in saltwater, so I'm not worrying about it so much now. Ammonia is now my main concern. The test kit I'm using might be giving me a false 0 so I'm getting a new one.

For the emergency case, get one or two bottles of 500mL SEACHEM Prime water conditioner... Use up to 5 times normal dose for exceptionally high nitrite, chloramine and nitrate concentration.

Megalodon
04-19-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm already using Prime and carbon. It only goes so far, which isn't very far at all, actually.

I've discovered that my Seachem Ammonia Alert is defective. I do in fact have an ammonia problem, and it killed my BTA, and now the tank is cloudy and smelly with gunk floating everywhere.

I'm continuing with water changes tonight and applying micron filtration.

I still need cycled bio-media.

Please, anyone? I'll pay. You don't have to be in Surrey, and the bio media could be anything, as long as it has a generous amount bacteria. Bio-balls, nylon scrub pads, foam, live rock, anything...