PDA

View Full Version : where to get returns drilled.....

spikehs
03-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I am setting up a 50gal tank (36x18x18) and i wasn't quite sure where to get the returns drilled. I currently plan on have 2 3/4 inch returns drilled somewhere...My rock structure will be to rock piles in each of the back corners one for sps and one for everything else. I am going to be hooking up a scwd to it to provide some nice random current (along with a 1000gph pump). I had 2 ideas

1. get them drilled on the back of the tank, the point the returns to each rock pile...

2. get on on each of the side panes...i was leaning towards this way as it would seem to provide more of the back and forth current that i was looking for...

any ideas?

Sean

Canadian Man
03-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Well as far as where Sean I can't help you but I would go with the return on each side of the tank.. This is going on my experience with the rolling current from side to side in my 90. Very nice.

Jeff
03-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Most decent glass shops will drill for you. My experience has been about $10/hole.

Michael
03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Well...I had a 72 gallon tank I wanted drilled...and no glass shop would do it. They said it would shatter, especially if it was tempered glass.
-no fish shop would drill it either.

-where did you get them drilled, and do they drill older tanks, or just new ones? ( I have a 10 yr old 72 gallon tank.)
Since I'm in Ontario, I'm hoping to get a national company mentioned.

Has anyone ever had a tank crack while it got drilled?

Thanks

Michael

sumpfinfishe
03-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Like Jeff said, most decent glass shops will drill it $5-$20 a hole depending on which shop and how busy they are, and don't forget to take your bulkheads along. As for placement I myself would go with both sides of the back pane.

spikehs
03-10-2003, 04:53 PM
yah i heard most glass shops wont do it, the lfs thats going to do it for me is getting it done from some other place, plus they are giveing me a 3 year warrenty

Gazza
03-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Michael_Newbie

I'ts true you can't drill tempered glass. But I've certainly drilled many old 72 gals. Just keep the hole away from any deep scratches. I've probably drilled hundreds of tanks and the only one I remember breaking was a double bottom tank. The glass breaks as it hits the second piece. I've alwys used a tripod drill stand and they work really well.
Gazza