PDA

View Full Version : ok to keep thawed mysis?

banditpowdercoat
04-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Still grasping this feeding frozen foods thing. I only have 2 Clowns at the moment and I find trying to break off small enough chunk as to not overfeed, next to impossible. So, I have been keeping a small amount, 3 feedings worth, in a shot glass on the fridge. On the package, it says keep frozen, but how long will they be ok in fridge? WOuldnt want to give my babies Salmonella or anything

christyf5
04-14-2008, 02:18 AM
FWIW I use a sharp knife and sort of stab it into the block of mysis and pry some smaller chunks off (a hammer and screwdriver also works in a pinch if the block is really think :razz:).

I would think it would be okay a couple days in the fridge, however the longer you leave it in there the more your milk and butter start to smell/taste kind of nasty.

mark
04-14-2008, 03:08 AM
I use the flat packs (about 4x6").

Keep them in a slightly larger ziplock, break off some by banging with the back of a teaspoon then just scoop out what I need.

justinl
04-14-2008, 03:27 AM
i do pretty much exactly what mark does. try to squeeze the air out of the bag before you seal it back up though.

do not feed your fish refrozen food. once it's been thawed, it's a one time deal; feed it or throw it out. The oils in the marine flesh go rancid VERY fast (within hours) and are immuno-suppressors. short term, there will be no detrimental effects, but long term their immune systems will be weakened unless they are the kind of fish that are made for eating rotten stuff (scavengers should be fine). clowns dont fall into that category.

fridge storage is not good enough imo; most i would let it sit in a fridge is half a day. why cant you just store it in the freezer and break off what you need every feeding? thawing enough for two fish shouldnt take more than five minutes.

bv_reefer
05-05-2008, 06:22 PM
i just drop the bag or hit it against something and pick out a pinch, frozen food can be pain to get out though, I'll give it that. i have a little plastic dish just for that, i fill the dish 1/3 with tank water throw the block in, stir and feed asap. justins definitely right about how fast frozen food spoils, absolutely putrid after an hour or two-

parkinsn
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
so what is the proper way of doing homemade mix's, i have thawed packs of mysis so that i can add in lipo-vit and immuneo-vit into the frozen food then refreeze it? This is not the 1st time that i have done this, as well the food is only thawed for 20-30 min tops. OR should i be adding it to the food as i need it?

justinl
05-06-2008, 09:09 AM
i know that a lot of people rethaw frozen stuff when they make a food mix but it's not a method i would comfortably employ myself. If i were to make a mix, i would not include the protein rich meaty food in the mix and just feed it separately. or just mix it into the daily feed before each feeding.