PDA

View Full Version : CBB and Ick

Captainhemo
04-14-2008, 12:15 AM
How common is it for these fish to have ick ? The reason I'm asking is I had been up at one of the local stores and they had 3 CBB come in. One in particular caught our eyes and we reserved it, the store wanted to be sure it was eating and healthy before it left the store. That was a week ago...
We went back on the weekend (the store still hadn't called for pickup) and the fish now appeared to have a few white spots near the tail and fins, looked like ick. When we asked the store said yes it was but it wasn't a big deal, it would clear up and the fish would probably be ok to go in few days.
Is this goning to be something that pretty much all CBB's are going to show when they arrive in stores and just have to deal with during QT?
If I take this fish is a 33g tank with a skimmer and heater going to be suitable for a QT tank? I was originally palnning on putting a few rocks in with it but after seeing the signs in the store, BB with a few pieces of pipe I can wash nightly would proobably be best correct ?
If the fish has " cleared up " when they call should I even be considering this fish ? The store doesn't seem to think its a big deal althogh they haven't felt comfortable enough to let it go yet...... opinions ?

Thnx

surgeonfish
04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
CBB are not an easy fish to keep. The main problem is getting them to eat. I would not buy it until the ick is gone. Even then I would use a quarantine tank as it could come back when you buy the fish.

Captainhemo
04-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes , I understand the problems with getting them to eat. This fish is apparently eating frozen mysis( I havent witnessed it yet but will before I take it/ if I take it).
Planning on QT for 6 weeks, if no signs of Ick after 4 I'd start adding some rocks etc.

Canuckgod420
04-14-2008, 01:33 AM
When I got my CBB at first it did not eat anything, not even mysis.....but if you dont have clams you can feed it finely cut up clam meat....mine went nuts for it on its 3rd day with out eating. Ive had him now for 1.5 years and its big and fat!

The reason I mention the clam is now he loves the taste of clam meat and every clam i put into my tank it starts to pick at it, then I have to move it to my wifes tank....she now has 3 of them...lol