PDA

View Full Version : Reef tank to Sea horse tank

CDick
04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Just wondering about changing my 33gal to a Sea horse tank. I have SPS corals and LPS corals and don't know what is ok to keep, or what i have to get rid of. Just thinking about it and any info will help i really don't know much about Sea horses but i find them really interesting and want to learn more....

Chowder
04-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Seahorse are a low flow animal. So chances are you will have to get rid of most of your flow in the tank. Which would not be good for your SPS. You would also have to get rid of any coral that could potentualy sting the seahorse.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-14-2008, 12:38 AM
In a high light tank, your seahorses will find the shadowed areas to hide in most of the time, as well as the low flow parts. SPS (especially) and seahorses do not mix well. Seahorses will produce high nutrient loads in a tank, which will usually cause SPS to brown out or RTN. The only SPS that I keep in my seahorse refugium/frag tank is Montipora digitata and those frags are right by the return from my pump & at the very top of the tank. I have lots of macroalgae and caves for the seahorses to hide in too.

Anthony