PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Medic Temp controller

banditpowdercoat
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I reciently got a Aqua medic Biotherm Temp controller and 250W Titanium heater from Wendell @ OA. read way to many horror stories about glass ones breaking etc. Well, the first one was DOA. Temp just kept climbing and climbing. This replacement seems to be heating too much. Temp is set at 78, but goes to 81.X before shutting off. Getting a 4* swing. Is that OK? Or to much for fishies? Did I waste my $$$ on this controller?

mildcustom2
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I used to have a problem when I first got my Aquamedic temp controller with it reading a higher temp than what was in the tank, reverse of your problem. I discovered that it had to do with the positioning of the probe. It was in a low water flow area near the top of the tank. Metal halide lights were causing it to heat up. As it was I would get at least a 2* differential between tank temp and the set point before it would come on. Hope this helps.

dsaundry
04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Shouldn't be a major problem, Monitor regularly and if it stays stable, drop the controller to 76 and see what happens..Maybe the thermostat is just out a couple of degrees.

Lance
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I've got this controller with the 500W heater and it seems to be very accurate. Turns on/off within .2 degrees when I checked it with both a digital and liquid thermometer. Maybe you got a lemon?