PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Sump

super7
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I have a acriylic tnank that i want to make into my sump. I was wondering if there is anything other than weld on # 4 that would do the trick.
Thanks Super7

Okguy
04-11-2008, 05:59 PM
When I build my sump, I used a combination of weldon #3 (similar to 4 but doesn't dry as fast) and weldon #16. I used weldon #3 using the 'pins' method outlines here http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/chvy/chvy_sump.html

and weldon 16 to fill in any gaps.

Since the tank already exists you could probably get away with just using weldon 16 to install the baffles (I found some at Industrial Plastics and Paints).

HTH

kari
04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Weldon 3 sets much faster then Weldon 4. The 3 is similar to using methylene chloride. 3, 4 and methylene chloride need perfectly cut joints to be water tight.

Another Weldon product that would work is Weldon40. It is two part similar to epoxy that creates a clear strong joint less brittle then Weldon 16. It is thicker then 16 and fills gaps well. The draw back is that it stinks like hell before its cured. I've found it available in 1 litre and 1/4 litre containers.
1 litre = $28
1/4 litre= $6
Short shelf life so make sure to check the expiry date.

super7
04-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks, I will probablly use weldon 40 as it sounds easiest to use. Smell isn't a huge issue as I will be doing it in shop.
Thanks Super7