PDA

View Full Version : RO flushing

Gools
04-11-2008, 02:45 AM
I just added one of these to my RO system, just wondering when and how often do I want to flush my membrane?
Thanks

Myka
04-11-2008, 03:38 AM
The more the better. Ideally you should flush it for several minutes EVERY time you use the RO. Personally, I flush mine for about 10 minutes with 75 degree water every time I'm done using it.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-11-2008, 04:40 AM
I only flush mine once every few weeks....TDS of 0 all the time :)

Myka
04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Flushing it just supposed to lengthen the life of your RO membrane. It's not really proven, but the more often you do it and for longer, the more likely it is that it may do something.

Zylumn
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Could someone please explain the process of flushing the membrane on my RO unit.
Thanks
Kevin

Gools
04-12-2008, 12:52 AM
So is a 5 min flush long enough?

atcguy
04-12-2008, 03:11 AM
never flushed mine before. 5 years now.. new membrane every 2 years so far.. i get good water all the time...

Johnny Reefer
04-12-2008, 04:09 AM
So is a 5 min flush long enough?
Just installed a flush kit on my SpectraPure. They say to flush for 30 seconds after each use. Don't know about other brands.

Myka
04-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Flushing is pretty much a money grabber. :lol: But I do it lots. You have to buy a "Flush kit" for your particular brand and model. You transfer your flow regulator thingy (they have a name...I just can't think of it...) into the middle of the flush kit. When the knob is one direction it bypasses the regulator and flushes the membrane. When the knob is the other way the regulator is in effect and you get RO water. :) The Flush kits are usually like $15.

Zylumn
04-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Flushing is pretty much a money grabber. :lol: But I do it lots. You have to buy a "Flush kit" for your particular brand and model. You transfer your flow regulator thingy (they have a name...I just can't think of it...) into the middle of the flush kit. When the knob is one direction it bypasses the regulator and flushes the membrane. When the knob is the other way the regulator is in effect and you get RO water. :) The Flush kits are usually like $15.

Thank You Myka I have owned a R/o for over a year and have changed out the Membrane and filters but never heard of Flushing. ( Thankfully flushing didn't mean tying a string around the membrane and pushing the lever a couple times)

mark
04-12-2008, 05:00 AM
From Aqua-safe (cut fr here (http://cgi.ebay.ca/AQUA-SAFE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-100-GPD-MEMBRANE_W0QQitemZ4425639334QQihZ006QQcategoryZ206 84QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)):

Life expectance is a result of TLC. If you flush the membrane every couple of weeks for 10-15 minutes (i.e. turn the knob) and change out the pre-filters every 600 gallons of product water, the membrane will last 5 years +/-. If chlorine or other killer chemicals get to the membrane, or if you have really turbid water (more than 1 NTU), then the membranes will fail sooner...as early as a year with high use and no TLC.

Myka
04-12-2008, 06:19 AM
^ That's what they say, but not many people actually agree once they've tried it. Most say that it didn't change the wear of the RO. Of course, I'm anal about stuff like that (I test the TDS of my water at like 5 different points on every use), and I flush the heck out of my membrane EVERY time I use it, which is about once every couple weeks. :lol:

globaldesigns
04-14-2008, 02:38 AM
How does reversing the good and bad water lines, flush the ro unit. I have the coralife 50gpd unit and it says that is how to flush, doesn't make sense. How can reversing the lines flush?