PDA

View Full Version : new tank smell

fishguy007
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
hello,
i just set up my 90 gallon tank with LR. this morning, there is an awful smell that is all over the house. making people gag when they go near. what would be the cause of this and are there any methods to cure this? what is the fatest way to cure this?

Joe Reefer
04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Was the rock cured before hand? If not your in for a smelly days before it gets better. :lol:

Interior_Reef
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
sounds like uncured rock. get a protein skimmer to help it cure quicker, also maybe provide gas masks for guests until it cures. :)

michika
04-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Some carbon will help a bit too. Although at this point, assuming its uncured rock as mentioned, waiting it out is your best bet.

hillbillyreefer
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
You might want to send the significant other on a weekend getaway!!! If you just have roommates it going to cost you lots of beer before they get over it. Good luck.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Skimmer, water changes, carbon....and time :)

Black Phantom
04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Get a big window and open it :lol:

Just kidding, sounds like your rock was uncured. A plastic cover or sheet over the tank might help the smell.

kwirky
04-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Skimmer, water changes, carbon....and time :)

carbon helps a lot. if there's nothing else but the liverock in the tank this is one of the few situations where it's ok to run LOTS of carbon actively. Fill an AC70 with carbon and the smell will go away in 24 hours maybe? When the rock's done cycling throttle back the carbon and do a significant water change to replenish all the other stuff the carbon removed.

fishguy007
04-11-2008, 10:18 PM
well thanks for all the help. everyone. let me know if i am doing this right.

i took all the rock out and have it in a 30 gallon tank with a protein skimmer for 200 gallons. i scrubbed all the rock off and rinsed it in a pail of salt water before putting it in the 30 gallon tank. put the tank in my garage to cure for the smell.

have my 90 gallon full of just salt water. running canister filters with carbon to take the smell out. it got the smell in my sand i think so that is why the water still has a smell to it. am i correct? the carbon should clear this up?

am i doing things right here? any other suggestions.

what do you guys think a week till the rock cures?

Starry
04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Took mine about a month.

Flash
04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I must be lucky, I bought my rock from the store and it doesn't smell at all! (THANK GOODNESS)