PDA

View Full Version : How long can cured LR be out of water B4 die off

Doo
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
If I was to pick up cured LR from a store that is NO MORE than 10 min from my house and the LR is just in a box or a pale with NO WATER, would one get much die off???

I have been curious about this!

Sorry for the novice question:redface:

fkshiu
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Not much as long as it remained damp. Just give it a sniff - the worse it smells the more die off you've got.

digital-audiophile
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Wrap it in wet newspaper and put it in a styro shipping box, 10 minutes shouldn't kill too much with the exception of sponges.

Doo
04-10-2008, 07:52 PM
No smell at all, I added more LR today and the tank that I got it from is very well established tank with fish in it. She put the LR in a styro box inside a plastic garbage bag and it took me under 10 min from out of their tank and into my tank. I am positive there is very little die off, but I have been always curious as to how long it would take to cause serious damage to the LR...

Whatigot
04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I've transported LR out of water in sealed plastic bags for 45 minutes with very little noticeable ill effect.

Brent F
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I've transported live rock covered in zoas and mushrooms out of water for close to an hour with no noticeable ill effect. My live rock was shipped for 6 hours via air with very little water and I have sponges, sea squirts, zoas, worms, sea cucumbers...on it.

10 minutes shouldn't do much harm

Doo
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
very cool feedback - thank you all!

hillbillyreefer
04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I've had some shipped that was out of water for 8 hours. It was wrapped in very wet newspaper. It had a small bit of die off, didn't smell too much. It did have a detectable cycle but was pretty minor compared to what some people end up having.