View Full Version : New Auger style zeo reactor

digital-audiophile
04-10-2008, 06:34 PM
http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12541

Looks pretty sweet!

http://www.ocaquatic.com/prodimages/1.5ltr%20zeo%20017.jpg

Joe Reefer
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Looks pretty cool. I can't see it cleaning the rocks as good as a plunger style though.

digital-audiophile
04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I agree, not the same kind of force pushing water through them. I could see something like this being automated with a little motor to spin it if you really wanted to get fancy.

Delphinus
04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
It is neat, I was wondering if any Canuckian retailers would be selling them. The thread at zeovit.com nicely omitted any prices which makes it hard to wonder if someone should be daydreaming about these or not. :)

I wonder how hard it'd be to DIY something like that. Is there such thing as a plastic (or PVC) ice-fishing auger bit? (I don't fish let alone ice-fish so I have no idea if I'm asking a stupid question or not)..

Do you just turn the thing or does it go up and down too?

digital-audiophile
04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
The prices are posted just under the pictures :p

Pricing are as follows:

Model

1.5L $299

3L $349

5L $399

You would think this would be better suited for the larger reactors.. with 5L of zeolites in theroy it is easier to spin that to pump it up and down.

Delphinus
04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh, DUH, sheesh. :redface: I knew that too. What I meant was, what was missing is that when you go to the retailers they mention, they don't really have reactors listed on their sites. I just couldn't remember what it was that I wasn't finding when I was looking at it last night.

Bear with me, I'm old, and they say memory is the first thing to

BMW Rider
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree, not the same kind of force pushing water through them. I could see something like this being automated with a little motor to spin it if you really wanted to get fancy.

That was my exact thought on this unit. I am hesitant to start into the Zeovit fray partly because of the regimen involved and my not so compatible schedule. If I could set up auto dosing and auto stirring of the reactor it would be vary appealing (aside form the added equipment costs to set that up). I may still look at the system in the future. First I need to get myself a new sump built as I currently have no way to fit in the reactor anyway. For now I'll keep to the Polyp Labs Reefresh.

digital-audiophile
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I would imagine proline would be the distributor for these so you would think that Golds would get them?

Delphinus
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I just meant it's easier to daydream about it when there's a link or a button you can press to buy it. I'm sure Gold or J&L can get them but they're not listed on their sites. There's just something about having that big red button available though. You don't actually *press* it per se, but you have your browser open to the page all day, so that you can press it anytime you want. Yep yep, anytime .. you .. want. (Maybe I'm giving away too much about how my brain works. :redface:)

Ed, the regimen really isn't all that bad, and if you're doing Reef-Resh, it's really not a big step at all. If you feed your tank everyday, then you're already doing the time commitment required.

I was using Reef-Resh for at least 6 months, and I noticed a difference in my tank the very next day after switching the Zeo (no exaggeration, the next day). I wish I had switched over years ago when I first started thinking about it. I just kept rationalizing away the decision ("Oh well, this tank will be finished soon, so why bother?").

Anyhow just my $0.02. The only thing I'm a little worried about is when I'm out of town for work or vacation. Although that's sort of a moot point anyhow, I travel far less for work now then I used to, and I have two kids and a single income and I live in Calgary and I don't work for big oil so basically what I'm saying is I'm probably not going to have a vacation for about the next 20 years, anyhow, so it all works out in the end. :lol:

Chowder
04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I believe proline has those units being made in the lowermainland so I'm sure they will be sold in Canada.

blaster
04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Knowing the guy who makes them,I would bet my house that they are of top quality and efficiency

Tom R
04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
It looks pretty cool alright. However the whole intent of the plunger system is to knock the mulm off the ZEOlites through the motion of strong agitation. I do not see the auger doing the same job.

Tom R
Looks pretty cool. I can't see it cleaning the rocks as good as a plunger style though.

support@proline
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
The Reactor does work very well,the Auger lifts all the media from the bottom to the top every time you turn the handle clockwise,so not only movement also the friction will get the mulm off.
They are made in Canada ,very good quality & workmanship.
They will be available @ all our retailers ,in Vancouver J&L, for all you guys in Calgary Golds has already ordered these so I suspect end of next week they should have them in stock ,you will also be able to get them from Wai's Aquarium.
Regards
Chris

kwirky
04-10-2008, 10:42 PM
what about friction grinding up the zeolytes? would that be a problem?

I myself don't mind pumping even the biggish 3L reactors. haven't pumped a 5L before though.