PDA

View Full Version : Ring Cowries - any experiences?

Myka
04-09-2008, 05:45 AM
I bought five Ring Cowries to add to my tank, partly for something interesting, and partly because I hear they are good at getting the tough green algae that grows on the glass in those little specks. I lost two of them within the first few days, and I lost a third a week later. The remaining two seem fine, but I'm wondering if they are really sensitive or what? Also, they sure don't seem to do very much! Any experiences with these guys?

PS They were in the bag for 48 hours, but they stayed a good temp, and I did acclimate them very well.

christyf5
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I bought five Ring Cowries to add to my tank, partly for something interesting, and partly because I hear they are good at getting the tough green algae that grows on the glass in those little specks. I lost two of them within the first few days, and I lost a third a week later. The remaining two seem fine, but I'm wondering if they are really sensitive or what? Also, they sure don't seem to do very much! Any experiences with these guys?

PS They were in the bag for 48 hours, but they stayed a good temp, and I did acclimate them very well.

I've always found ring cowries to be extremely "sensitive". Sometimes they all croak within a couple weeks to a month and other times I see one chugging away on the rock or hiding behind a powerhead when I take it out to clean it. I have no idea what they are sensitive to, my tank doesn't have any wild fluctuations in temperature or salinity but it can be extremely frustrating trying to figure it out.

BTW, you're right, they don't do much. They are just "neat" :wink:

Myka
04-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Ok, thanks! I was really starting to wonder what was going since my large Stomatella population up and vanished, and now these Ring Cowries aren't doing so well! Thanks for the input! They are pretty cool though. :)

christyf5
04-10-2008, 04:12 AM
I find stomatella populations to be cyclical, one minute theres tons then they all seem to disappear. Don't worry, they breed like crazy. No doubt the next generation is working its way up to being seen :razz:

Or you might have a predator, I find hermits prefer a nice tasty snail snack to fish poo.

Myka
04-10-2008, 04:56 AM
I don't have any hermits. They are banned. :lol:

On RC, they suggested that my Peppermint shrimp could be to blame for the demise of my Stomatellas. I've never heard of that, but the population started its decline precisely when I added the Pep.

christyf5
04-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah I've heard that about peppermint shrimp as well. They're pretty relentless when they get a taste for something. Stomatella snails are neato and all but I find they don't really do much. The shrimp are much more interesting :biggrin:

Myka
04-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Really? I found the Stomatellas to be the best algae eaters I've ever had. I'm not sure which I'd choose; Stoms or Peps. That would be a hard decision, but it looks like my Pep made it for me...or well, I guess I made the decision, just unintentionally!

Samw
04-12-2008, 03:31 AM
I have had good luck with Ringged cowries. Most of mine have been alive for several years. They outlive most of my snails. As for Peppermint shrimps, I tried a pair once and found them actively pulling feather dusters out of their tubes. No more Peppermints for me.