PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit reactors - *testing done*

kari
04-09-2008, 12:11 AM
While having a bit of extra time on my hands I was planning on building some zeovit reactors. If there is interest for more then 3 I will get on it.

Pricing will depend on current acrylic cost and the number of units being built but it will definately be less then retail.

Design will be similiar to what you see in the stores (round design.) Construction will be all cast with quality fittings.

If there is enough interest I will draw up the plans to fit everyones setups and work out the final price tag.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I'd have to say....my personal interest is contingent on price. Sorry, not very helpful, I know!

dsaundry
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Gotta agree with "The Chef"..Depends on price..even a ball park figure.. between $____+$_____. :biggrin:

Nate
04-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I think my order has already been placed...correct me if I am wrong Kari....

Myka
04-09-2008, 01:18 AM
I would be interested as well based on price. The Zeovit Reactors seem to run about $230 including a pump for the 1.5L version. How much better do you think you can do on price?

Would it be clear acrylic or white or other? A ball park figure would be good...and you're just talking the reactor, no pump or anything right? Are you including the plunger thing in your design to clean the Zeovit media?

JOEL
04-09-2008, 02:09 AM
I may be interested as well based on price.

whiteice669
04-09-2008, 02:14 AM
ditto with all above, keep me posted

Tom R
04-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Keep in mind that a 1.5 liter reactor will only do a small system. I have the 3 liter reactor and use about 2.5 liters for my 425G system.

Tom R

Myka
04-09-2008, 03:00 AM
1 litre per 100 gallons according to the Zeovit guys. Have you tried running more media Tom?

1.5 litre works for me. :)

Der_Iron_Chef
04-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Big enough for me :)

aussiefishy
04-09-2008, 03:49 AM
you have PM

steve fedyk
04-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Can they be bigger like 5L. I would be intrested I one :mrgreen:

fencer
04-09-2008, 04:18 AM
I have seen Kari's work on his skimmer. If he is making it it will be a good job

kari
04-09-2008, 04:20 AM
I think my order has already been placed...correct me if I am wrong Kari....

Your on the list Nate.

I would be interested as well based on price. The Zeovit Reactors seem to run about $230 including a pump for the 1.5L version. How much better do you think you can do on price?

Would it be clear acrylic or white or other? A ball park figure would be good...and you're just talking the reactor, no pump or anything right? Are you including the plunger thing in your design to clean the Zeovit media?

1.5 litre sounds pretty small, but no problem, can make a few smaller ones aswell.

The main tube will be clear cast acrylic. Other colored parts can be used but keep in mind colored acrylic is near double the cost.

Yes to the plunger thing with a little extra.

I'll get the cadd drawing finished this weekend plus the price tag.

Thanks

wayner
04-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Here's a new design - fyi

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12440

michika
04-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Kari,

Can you make other things with your skills beyond zeovit reactors?

Myka
04-09-2008, 05:41 AM
1.5 litre sounds pretty small, but no problem, can make a few smaller ones aswell.

The main tube will be clear cast acrylic. Other colored parts can be used but keep in mind colored acrylic is near double the cost.

Yes to the plunger thing with a little extra.

I'll get the cadd drawing finished this weekend plus the price tag.

Thanks

I'm game with the clear acrylic. I look forward to the CAD and the price tag! :)

Delphinus
04-09-2008, 06:35 AM
I'd be interested in what the price would work out to on a 5l reactor. As you know I was about to make one anyhow but would happily defer to letting you make one instead. :)

To all - Kari does exceptional acrylic work BTW. :)

Railskinner
04-09-2008, 10:02 AM
so what is the purpose of this reactor,functions. 1st ive heard of this unit.

wayner
04-09-2008, 01:48 PM
1 lit here also.

digital-audiophile
04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
so what is the purpose of this reactor,functions. 1st ive heard of this unit.

http://zeovit.com/ For all your zeo questions.

Zeo is your God! :)

Nate
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
for those of you questioning as to karis acrylic abilities...he is the sh!t. Builds some great stuff

Phanman
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
id be down for a 1.5-2 L pending price of course

Delphinus
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess I should have asked if you're OK with building multiple sizes in this "production run". If not, no worries, let me know. I can't imagine too many people want 5l or 7l reactor. :)

christyf5
04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
for those of you questioning as to karis acrylic abilities...he is the sh!t. Builds some great stuff

ditto on that! :mrgreen:

Jaws
04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm in for one if the price is right too. I look forward to hearing more.

kari
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Here's a new design - fyi

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12440

I want a cnc router so bad :lol: , maybe I should try saving money for a change. I like the design though.

Priced the materials today but I need to get the drawing done to define the price. Anyone see any of the Sedra pumps around.

kari
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Drawings are done but are in PDF format. I need to find some web space to link them.

andresont
04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I am interested also , but in the small unit 1L or less.
My tank is only 66 Gal minus live rock , i only need about 1/3 of a bag or so.

tagging along for the price and shipping cost.

How about just running it with a power head? do we really need a sedra pump ? This will bring the cost down and shipping waght as well. JMO

kari
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Here's the drawings. Sorry but apparently I can only plot drawings in autocad sideways:lol:.

4.9litre Joe tradition style- http://www3.telus.net/salomaa/ks/zeovit%20reactor%20Model%20(1).pdf

Can't get the price down to make it attractive mainly due to the cost of the 3ft of acrylic tube. 6" 1/8"wall cast pipe is not available at this time:rolleyes: and would need to be manufactured with an added cost so I went with 1/4"wall tube. The 2 tubes alone cost $125 making the total material cost $178. Probably not worth making and better off to hit the store for one.

Alternative Horizontal Design- http://www3.telus.net/salomaa/ks/zeovit%20reactor%20HORIZONTAL.pdf

Maybe get in much less trouble by not doing knockoffs I came up with different design that would be much more cost effective. This sealed cylinder would take up much less space and could be wall mounted in a cabinet or fish room wall. Flow control would be with a speed fit valve. The pump would be placed in the sump with 1/2" connection.

Any thoughts on this:question:

Myka
04-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Where are you finding the acrylic? Are you getting a discount or paying full retail? I wonder if I could help find some cheaper...

Would a 1.5-2.5 L media capacity reactor be $178 as well, or would it be a bit cheaper? What were you thinking of adding on top for your time?

andresont
04-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Here's the drawings. Sorry but apparently I can only plot drawings in autocad sideways:lol:.

4.9litre Joe tradition style- http://www3.telus.net/salomaa/ks/zeovit%20reactor%20Model%20(1).pdf

Can't get the price down to make it attractive mainly due to the cost of the 3ft of acrylic tube. 6" 1/8"wall cast pipe is not available at this time:rolleyes: and would need to be manufactured with an added cost so I went with 1/4"wall tube. The 2 tubes alone cost $125 making the total material cost $178. Probably not worth making and better off to hit the store for one.

Alternative Horizontal Design- http://www3.telus.net/salomaa/ks/zeovit%20reactor%20HORIZONTAL.pdf

Maybe get in much less trouble by not doing knockoffs I came up with different design that would be much more cost effective. This sealed cylinder would take up much less space and could be wall mounted in a cabinet or fish room wall. Flow control would be with a speed fit valve. The pump would be placed in the sump with 1/2" connection.

Any thoughts on this:question:

i like a horizontal unit a lot !
This would make shaking/ moving media so easy. And will save the space too.
I dont care how thick the walls are as long as it will hold the water. The only thing is that it will become non transparent very(?) quickly due to scratches.
Other then that its very good. And I would actually prefer horizontal unit myself.
Good work !

kari
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Where are you finding the acrylic? Are you getting a discount or paying full retail? I wonder if I could help find some cheaper...

Would a 1.5-2.5 L media capacity reactor be $178 as well, or would it be a bit cheaper? What were you thinking of adding on top for your time?

I am purchasing it at $44.37/ft ( 6"OD 1/4"wall cast ), $30.58/ft (6"OD 1/8"wall cast - none available), $29.22/ft (5-1/4"OD 1/8"wall cast.) The prices will very by the week.

For a smaller reactor I would just shorten the tubes and price would change equal to cost of the tube. Labour time would not change and could do it for $80.

The horizontal design is much less in materials since it is much shorter and no inner tube while acheiving the same volume. Should make one and find a guinea pig.

andresont
04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
can you please elaborate on how small horizontal unit will shake the media with 25 degree rod rotation?
How will this be done?
thx

kari
04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
can you please elaborate on how small horizontal unit will shake the media with 25 degree rod rotation?
How will this be done?
thx

The 25deg number was something I quickly winged but will probably be a larger angle. Using the 6" pipe I figure the media section length will be 13" long for 5 liter, 11" for 4 liter, 8" for 3 liter, 5.5" for 2 liter.

The head scratching part that remains is the water in and out connection. John guest type fittings may not work and I will have to find something else that can be just as easily disconnected.

I'll put one together right away and see how it works.

steve fedyk
04-13-2008, 01:09 AM
If the price is right I'll take a 2.5L reactor.:mrgreen:

Der_Iron_Chef
04-13-2008, 02:01 AM
It sounds really interesting. I'm intrigued!

Richard_Dicosimo
04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
i have been looking into building a skimmer lately and have priced out some 6" acrylic tubing all 1/8" and if you buy a 6' length from industrial paints and plasitcs in Calgary they will sell it to you for 105$ nearly halfs your main chamber costs.
they are located in the industrial park in the s.e. near chinook center, they also had the 6" in stock when i was there last wednesday. also i found a site on the internet www.k-mac-plastics.com they aslo sell the acrylic tube for less then you say you can get it IF you buy in a 6' lengths. hope this helps you some.

Richard

EmilyB
04-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Kari, you can guinea pig us any time. We will pay for anything that makes life/tanks better...:lol: Plus Carson likes you. :mrgreen:

Psyire
04-13-2008, 05:18 AM
That horizontal design is very interesting, I say definately build a test unit. It just might be the ticket.

kari
04-13-2008, 03:15 PM
i have been looking into building a skimmer lately and have priced out some 6" acrylic tubing all 1/8" and if you buy a 6' length from industrial paints and plasitcs in Calgary they will sell it to you for 105$ nearly halfs your main chamber costs.
they are located in the industrial park in the s.e. near chinook center, they also had the 6" in stock when i was there last wednesday. also i found a site on the internet www.k-mac-plastics.com (http://www.k-mac-plastics.com) they aslo sell the acrylic tube for less then you say you can get it IF you buy in a 6' lengths. hope this helps you some.

Richard

The only problem with the tube from IPP in Calgary is that it's extruded. It can be done but sometimes if you look at it the wrong way it cracks up like corn flakes.

Thanks for the input though.

Aquattro
04-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Kari, have you actually had extruded crack on you? I ask because I've always built my skimmers and reactors from extruded, anywhere from 4" to 8" tubing, and as far as I know, pieces built 7 years ago are still in service. My Ca Reactor has been around for 5 years and the LFS is using one of my first skimmers built 7 years ago. I know it's not as clear, but it's always stayed crack free and not leaked. Just wondering if your experiences have been different?

Chin_Lee
04-13-2008, 03:51 PM
brad what thickness extrudes did you use? I've used up to 1/8 extruded and it cracks like crazy (fine cracks where glue was applied)

Aquattro
04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
brad what thickness extrudes did you use? I've used up to 1/8 extruded and it cracks like crazy (fine cracks where glue was applied)

I've used both 1/8 and 1/4, never had anything crack. You might see some crazing around seams, but no cracks. Maybe the material these days is crappier than 5 years ago? Dunno, just always used extruded

kari
04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Kari, have you actually had extruded crack on you? I ask because I've always built my skimmers and reactors from extruded, anywhere from 4" to 8" tubing, and as far as I know, pieces built 7 years ago are still in service. My Ca Reactor has been around for 5 years and the LFS is using one of my first skimmers built 7 years ago. I know it's not as clear, but it's always stayed crack free and not leaked. Just wondering if your experiences have been different?

What I see a lot is crazing if extra care isn't used. For example glueing joints that have induced stresses from bending or polishing. Also glueing parts that are not at room temp. They say this can be avoided by anealing the parts but who's wife will let you cook plastic in the oven. I was caught, once was enough.

Aquattro
04-13-2008, 06:54 PM
They say this can be avoided by anealing the parts but who's wife will let you cook plastic in the oven. I was caught, once was enough.

I wouldn't have even tried, I got enough crap for baking rocks and stuff after bleaching.

I never got much crazing, but all my joints were just plain old straight edges. I wonder if different suppliers have different grades? I got my tubing at a local shop, not IPP

kari
04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
There is a lot of really informative but dry reading in the tech support area at one of the acrylic manufacturers site (Cyro) for info on this subject. One would need to create a user name to get at it.

http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyro.cfg/php/enduser/acct_login.php?p_sid=WJRnRZCi&p_accessibility=&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=&p_next_page=std_alp.php

Richard_Dicosimo
04-14-2008, 02:54 AM
The only problem with the tube from IPP in Calgary is that it's extruded. It can be done but sometimes if you look at it the wrong way it cracks up like corn flakes.

Thanks for the input though.

The guy at Ipp said that his tubes where cast and not extruded... I asked, I thought thats what he said anyways?? I would have to double check but im pretty sure he said cast.

Richard

kari
04-28-2008, 04:01 AM
A few photos of the first. Still waiting for the cool Swivel Push To Connect Elbows. Not tested yet.

Some details,
-6"OD 1/4"W cast tube
-3/8" cast flanges key holed
-misc 3/4" acrylic
-seated o-ring seal
-wall mountable vertical or horizontal
-sealed unit, out of sump use
-a few fittings and hoses not in photo yet

See any funky stuff, let me know and I'll modify to correct.

This one I beleave worked out to 3.9liters - $210

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/zr-top.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/zr-side.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/zr-bot.jpg

mark
04-28-2008, 04:03 AM
wow! nice work

Chin_Lee
04-28-2008, 04:26 AM
now thats impressive and original thinking. Brilliant work Kari.

Jason McK
04-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Very Nice. Love the design. Looks even better in pictures then it did in design

J

Myka
04-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Is that 3.9L of Zeovit it will hold, or 3.9L total chamber volume? Why not even holes throughout the entire space of the "plates"? Is it designed to just rotate it forward, then rotate it back right away...or rotate it forward one day, then next day rotate it back? Or whatever you want? :lol:

Looks FAN-TAS-TIC!!! Sign me up! :)

kari
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Is that 3.9L of Zeovit it will hold, or 3.9L total chamber volume? Why not even holes throughout the entire space of the "plates"? Is it designed to just rotate it forward, then rotate it back right away...or rotate it forward one day, then next day rotate it back? Or whatever you want? :lol:

Looks FAN-TAS-TIC!!! Sign me up! :)

3.9liter media section (between the drilled plates). Or was it 3.7liter. I'll measure it again once I'm awake.

The theory on hole placement was for horizontal mount. It should help the water flow thru the media instead of short cutting above it.

I don't think it will need to rotate much. Just a quick back and fourth to move the media around. Speaking of media, I'll need to go buy a few bags to test. My guess is that it will work better in the vertical position.

Myka
04-28-2008, 02:22 PM
The theory on hole placement was for horizontal mount. It should help the water flow thru the media instead of short cutting above it.

Good call!!

Anyone find a source for Sedra pumps? What's the price on those puppies anyway?

muck
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Fantastic looking prototype... expected nothing less from you though, Kari. :wink:

Delphinus
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Wendell sells Sedra pumps: http://oceanaquatics.com/store/category/14/261/Internal-%26-External/

Having said that is there a reason to go Sedra over anything else? They're just a pump. The Hydor Seltz pumps are smaller and draw less power for example:

Sedra 5000 - 500gph - 50W
Seltz L35 - 450gph - 23W

Sedra 2500 - 250gph - 25W
Seltz L25 - 265gph - 10W

(Anyhow, just a thought.. :) )

christyf5
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow Kari that is dang impressive!! :eek: Beautiful work!

I was just wondering what the length of that bracket it sits on is. Trying to figure if it will fit into my sump cabinet :biggrin:

Pan
04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I am in for one, pending getting another job :)

as soon as i am employed again i want one.

kari
04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Wow Kari that is dang impressive!! :eek: Beautiful work!

I was just wondering what the length of that bracket it sits on is. Trying to figure if it will fit into my sump cabinet :biggrin:

Did some measuring on the tester reactor and it works out to 3.50 liter media capacity and not what I guessed earlier.

The hanger bracket is 18" long and the reactor extends 8" out from the wall when it is mounted. I beleave it can be shortened by at least 2" and still have the same capacity but I would like to see the fittings first (still on order.) So, say 16" long.

I can make them between 5 liters and as small as you need by changing the length. It will be 0.389 liters per 1" length change.

This liters and inches thing is cool. Whatever, just units.

kari
04-29-2008, 12:20 AM
What's not shown in the photo and included is,

2 _ 1/2" swivel 90deg speed fit X 1/2"mnpt elbows
2 _ 1/2" hoses
1 _ 1/2" speed fit X 1/2"mnpt adapters
1 _ 1/2" single true union ball valve

The flow rate is suggested at 100gph/liter media.

Myka
04-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Having said that is there a reason to go Sedra over anything else? They're just a pump.

I haven't looked into it much, I just always hear people saying Sedra pumps for the ZeoVit chambers. So I figured there was something special about them...adjustable flow maybe...? I have no idea. I've never even seen a Sedra pump before, or at least I've never noticed one before. ;)

If there's nothing special about them, then I will use something else. :D

kari
05-08-2008, 11:41 PM
3 weeks later the fittings arrived.

The in/out fittings are 1/2" John Guest Swivel Elbows as per photo,
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/FITTINGS.jpg

The hose that I was planning on using I found at Norwesco (blue stuff.) Alternatively, one could use the typical more rigid 1/2" hose used on these fittings but I believe this hose will work better. It will give a bit more flex but not too much like the clear pvc and vinyl hose.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/HOSE.jpg

dsaundry
05-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Looking good....What will be the time to delivery once an order is placed.

kari
05-11-2008, 12:02 AM
After 2 gruelling beers worth of testing I have a few notes.

Tested using only 2 liters of zeo rocks and water supplied with a mag7. Pump selection would be dependant on reactor mounting height but something equivalent to mag5 flow curve performance would work for most cases.

The reactor works best mounted horizontally and I like it:lol:.

When setup vertically one needs to rotate the unit back and fourth a little too vigorously and that's no fun. The rocks were more of a mix in size, larger and more angular then I expected therefor causing them to compact easily.

The swivel fittings and hose work well creating a sealed unit that can be wall mounted in unused areas saving space for other equipment.

When mounted horizontally the rocks tumble and mix nicely like a lottery number machine with an effortless slow rotation (approx 300deg.)

I am a bit of a liar by claiming vert or horz mountable and apologize.

Here's a few test photos,

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/test-front.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/test-end.jpg
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/test-angle.jpg

kari
05-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I had to drink the beers to better illustrate scale in the photos.

Delphinus
05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Man that looks really promising. :cool: Think I'm really digging the horizontal mount too. No compaction has to be a benefit..

kari
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I have enough tube left to make one more if anyone is interested.

Delphinus
06-24-2008, 10:53 PM
How large of a volume could you make with what you have left?

kari
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
3 liter