PDA

View Full Version : More Monti Problems

rocketlily
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Last weekend I found a new hitchhiker crab in my Monti, that I assumed was eating him. Did a fresh water dip, that indeed did flush out the crab, but not good for the Monti. (I'll never do that again).

The Monti looked like it might recover, but last night did not look good again. This morning I found lots of little white Nudibranches on it. Did my best to pick off the ones I could see (in a hurry battling the clock for work).

After doing some reading on the internet this morning, I found an article where someone has done a dip in Tetra Oomed to kill Nudibranches. Has anyone else done this or something else to get rid of these.

Any help with this issure would be very much appreciated.

Drock169
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Lugol's dips should kill the live nudi's but doesnt really affect the eggs. I would do manual removal in combination with Lugols dips to kill off the rest of the montipora nudi's.

fencer
04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
You would have thought the dip would have killed the Nudis. They might be from the other live rock. What about eXit or iodine dips?

hawk
04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I received a Monti a year ago, I used Lugol's before placing it in qt. Nudi's eventually showed up. I used dips and daily inspections for manual removal. Nothing worked, they always came back. After 3 months I gave-up. The problem is the eggs, none of the dips I came across kill the eggs and they are so small they are easily missed or even inaccessible to see or remove. If the infected monti is in your main tank with other monti's I would remove it. I recall reading that Eric Bourneman was working on a strategy to kill these things but not sure whatever became of it. Good luck.

michika
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I would take that monti out asap. Chances are though the eggs have spread. Start by QTing that monti and going through your system to check the rest of your pieces for them. No dip that does not kill the coral, works on the eggs. Take your choice on what you want to dip with to kill the nudibranchs, but manual removal is your only current option on the eggs.

Haloreef
04-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I have battled these little buggers before. The dips do not kill the eggs so... anywhere that I found nudi's I glued over with the glue I used for mounting frags. Seems to have done the trick. (fingers crossed etc.)
Just my 2 cents worth.

rocketlily
04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Are Monti's the only corals that seem to get the Nudibranch's or are there others that are prone to get these?

michika
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Just Monti's but there is some evidence that the eggs can be spread by other things.

I hear the glue trick works well too.

rocketlily
04-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Holy Nudibranch outbreak. I came home from work tonight after the lights in the tank were out and I cannot believe the amount of Nudibranches. Two days ago nothing and I haven't added anything to the tank for the last month. I've used the glue on the bottom and tried to pick off all I can see. I'll pick up some dip tomorrow and see if there's anything left to save.

Anyone have any ideas of what to do with a dead Monti. It was quite nice, looked like a head of lettuce that had opened up.

michika
04-09-2008, 03:45 AM
For starters how are you dipping? Are you dipping then returning the coral to the display tank, or are you moving it to a QT system? If you are dipping and putting it back in it tank of origin, your not helping yourself get ahead.

fencer
04-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Sounds like the nudi's are endemic to the tank. If all they eat is monti's just don't buy anymore monti's for a while. No food supply=a short term life