PDA

View Full Version : So Excited!!

sunce_22
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
So i have had my tank set up now for a few months, trying to figure out what kind of fish I want as my first fish. I knew that I wanted clownfish, but I couldn't have told you what kind. I mean they are all so pretty!

So I had my 20GL reef tank set up with my clean up crew, some pulsing xenia, green star polyps that have started branching off onto random rock, some mushrooms, ice clove polyps and a purple tube anenome. So i started clownfish window shopping.

I found myself a pair of the most beautiful clownfish around (I think so at least)

I went to OA this afternoon and bought a pair of naked clownfish. The ones with no markings! OMG they are so sweet.

Anyways I wanted some advice on their diet, should I buy vitamins to enrich their food with?

P.S. Thanks for reading my excited rant!:biggrin:

brizzo
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Its more exciting with pictures!!!

ponokareefer
04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
A variety of food is always a good thing to have. I'd say mysis are the most important food. Soaking food in Selcon gives them lots of extra nutrients. There are various flaked and pellet food that do a good job as well. There was just a thread regarding which was the best flake/pellet food that had some great ideas. They don't need much in the way of algae, so you could avoid the flaked/pellet foods that are mainly made up of algae.
You could also see the thread about the homemade food. That is probably the best way to go, but you'll have to do a little work.
Avoid Brine Shrimp!

Der_Iron_Chef
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I feed all my fish NLS Pellets and Mysis...they are fat and (apparently) happy :)

banditpowdercoat
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I got a couple Clowns from Wendell too. Ocellaris clown pair. They are too cute. Wendell suggested Mysis for the first month, then maybe some enriched flake food occasionally. And Ya, No Brine shrimp, or Blood worms for clowns.

Need to see some pics of your tank :D

ElGuappo
04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I feed all my fish NLS Pellets and Mysis...they are fat and (apparently) happy :)

I use the same thing the 1 mm NLS pelletss and mysis with a little spirinela enriched brine. the jawfish and bass preffer brine it seems.

Lance
04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
A few drops of garlic in their food for immunity can't hurt. I use the Kent Garlic Xtreme.

sunce_22
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Why No Brine shrimp? my bf is feeding his Brineshrimp! What will happen? oh no!

digital-audiophile
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Nothing wrong with brine, it's just more like candy for fish without a lot of nutrional content.

ElGuappo
04-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Nothing wrong with brine, it's just more like candy for fish without a lot of nutrional content.

thats why i use the spirenela enriched. Nice spelling I know.

sunce_22
04-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Where can I buy selcon? I want my fish as happy as possible!

sunce_22
04-10-2008, 07:34 AM
hey guys these are the only pictures that I could take. Sorry about the quality, I was only using a cell phone camera and they are so hard to photograph because they are so fast!

I hope the pictures work!

sunce_22
04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
I also included a picture of my mantis Shrimp. I named her "Hemi". She is a 3 inch purple spot mantis. Who just killed her first meal. She killed a blue leg hermit I had in there. I put them in either as feeders or cleaners. Either one works out. She is in a 10 gallon tank with 2 blue leg hermits, 3 astrea snails and a three stripe damsel. they seem to get along disturbingly well :biggrin:.

I also added another pic of my clownfish. They are only 1 inch long and they are so sweet. I plan to breed them eventually. So if anyone would like a baby or two when they come along, just keep posted with me! :biggrin: I'm pretty new on canreef and Im just really excited about it!

WhoPoopWrasse
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
You can order the Selcon from J&L, they have pretty much all that stuff.
Your little nudies are adorable! I hope you don't plan on adding the mantis to your clown tank!:eek:
A friend of mine has one, the stompng kind and he say it keeps him up all night! :lol: "whack, whack, whack, let me OUT!!! WHACK!!!

sunce_22
04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
:biggrin:No Im keeping Hemi in her own tank. She is pretty noisy sometimes. Thanks for the comment. Im glad that pictures worked!