PDA

View Full Version : Anybody wanna split a bucket of carbon from bulkreefsupply?

fkshiu
04-08-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm thinking of ordering a 5 gallon bucket of the RoX carbon. From everything I've read it's basically a bulk form of Seachem Matrix.

One 5-gallon bucket of RoX is $135 + $29 (shipping/brokerage) = $164. That's about US$8.68/litre.

J&L sells 2 litres of Matrix for about $36 after taxes which is C$18/litre. So we're talking about 1/2 price (if my math is correct) assuming both dollars at par.

I'm not looking for a bigass group buy. Just a simple split with one or two others in the Lower Mainland.

Any takers?

Renee
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't really need any carbon, but I was thinking of ordering deion. resin from there, maybe save a little on shipping?

Myka
04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Check the BC Interiors forum. We're placing an order, maybe you guys could hop on it too. I wouldn't mind repackaging your stuff and sending it on to you guys. I think we're placing our order in about a week.

Chin_Lee
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
FWIW - based on my experience with Canada Post shipping rates, it doesn't (or hardly) save money on shipping if you have to repack and reship unless you are dealing with extremely large portions.

Jason McK
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd be into that. I would be in for 2 gallons

We could ship it to Point-to-point in point roberts and save even more in shipping

J

Chin_Lee
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Just out of curiousity why ROX and not Lignite?
Is ROX twice as efficient as Lignite?
or does ROX last twice as long as lignite?

Jason McK
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't know it must be better it's more money :)

J

Jason McK
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I believe it's the way it's made. The process make a harder more effective carbon. I have the information around here somewhere I'll post it when I find it

J

Chin_Lee
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Jason - get to work :)
Seriously though I have done my share of reading on carbon on RC and I can't find any literature that states that the ROX is 2x more effective. I would like somebody to prove me wrong so I don't have to keep reading about all these numbers linked to carbon.
On another note, I've only used regular carbon in the past 6-7 years and I've never tried this ROX which is suppose to be harder. But I've never had an issue with carbon dust with the regular carbon.
So does it being harder mean its more effective or harder means it doesn't create as much carbon dust?

Chin_Lee
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Interesting quick glace at the articles posted by Bulk Reef Supply on the best carbon. Based on this article http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm
- it states that the best carbons are lignite and rough shaped.
- second best carbons are bituminous
- the worse carbons are all pellet shaped.

Based on the product descriptions of the lignite and ROX:
- the lignite being sold is rough shaped
- the ROX is pellet shaped
- the ROX has both lignite and bituminous properties

Does the pricing and product description contradict their effectiveness in the articles?

Chowder
04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
If there is one, I'd be in for a gallon.
Thanks, Chris

Jason McK
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Interesting quick glace at the articles posted by Bulk Reef Supply on the best carbon. Based on this article http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm
- it states that the best carbons are lignite and rough shaped.
- second best carbons are bituminous
- the worse carbons are all pellet shaped.

Based on the product descriptions of the lignite and ROX:
- the lignite being sold is rough shaped
- the ROX is pellet shaped
- the ROX has both lignite and bituminous properties

Does the pricing and product description contradict their effectiveness in the articles?

That was the link I was looking for.

OA used to sell the ROX pellet in bulk. too bad his supplier stops selling it. I found it way more effective that the Black Diamond I'm using today.
J

Reefer Rob
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
PMed

I use the Matrix carbon now. The round shape and higher density makes them work well in a reactor.

fkshiu
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know it must be better it's more money :)

J

That's exactly the reason!

Anyway, it looks like I've got a couple of takers so we'll soon see how well this stuff actually works.

Jason McK
04-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Again Franklin for organizing the buy. The Carbon looks very interesting

J

Chowder
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes thanks Franklin for the carbon.