PDA

View Full Version : Banditos....

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
I have started to notice a small decline in my mushie and zoa nubers any ideas what may be going on ? all look healthy and in the last 2 weeks i have noticed the odd one going missing.

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Bump

kwirky
04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
carbon? too much or it's running out? I've found palys and zoos are pretty sensitive to large ammounts of carbon.

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
really carbon can be an issue? well this is probably it then as i just changeed the stuff.

Drock169
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I may suspect the foul play of possibly a predator.

Chowder
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I had the same problem with zoas going missing. It turned out that there was a crab eating them. Noticesd it one day passing the tank. And the mushrooms could just be not happy where you have them in the flow and letting go.
Chris

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
i have added nothing in the past to have any hitchers. i thought at first it was my PomPom crab since he lost an anem, butr its not as he is not carrying them. as for the mushies i found it and it did let loose due to flow. still no idea where the 3-6 zoas have gone. i have not seen any hitchers aside from a couple of left handed crabs. i have been wondedring if something has been in there since the get go as i have also come to realize in the last couple weeks is that one of my porcelin crabs is missing his left claw. (maybe the car theif got it?????). \

i spend wayyyyy to much time staring into the blue abyss that is my tank and have never seen anything that i could even imagine doing this. would it be worht my time to set up a trap juswt to see if there is something in there that shouldnt be.

Thanks in advance.

Chowder
04-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I didn't know about or see the crab untill I noticed the zoas missing. It was also huge about 2 inches across. Not sure how I missed it but did realize that it hid while the lights were on and active durring the night with the lights out. It was a fluke I noticed it at all.

ElGuappo
04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Do you have any pics of this crab so i can get an idea of what im looking for? i have found no moulting from anything that doesnt resemble what i have in the tank that sheds.

Puff
04-08-2008, 12:55 AM
i have added nothing in the past to have any hitchers. i thought at first it was my PomPom crab since he lost an anem, butr its not as he is not carrying them. as for the mushies i found it and it did let loose due to flow. still no idea where the 3-6 zoas have gone. i have not seen any hitchers aside from a couple of left handed crabs. i have been wondedring if something has been in there since the get go as i have also come to realize in the last couple weeks is that one of my porcelin crabs is missing his left claw. (maybe the car theif got it?????). \

i spend wayyyyy to much time staring into the blue abyss that is my tank and have never seen anything that i could even imagine doing this. would it be worht my time to set up a trap juswt to see if there is something in there that shouldnt be.

Thanks in advance.

at one point i noticed things declining and hadnt added anything that would have introduced a hitchhiker.

turned out it was a gorilla crab that had been hiding in my tank from when i first added liverock. once i caught it the problems went away.

Chowder
04-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Here are a few pictures I got of the internet. Mine had a tan shell with large black spots that made it blend into it's surroundings. These are pictures of gorilla crabs.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/gorillacrab.gif
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/100_9133.jpg
I find new crabs all the time. Most of them have come in real small .You will usually notice them after they have grown bigger and easier to see.
Chris