PDA

View Full Version : Six Line Wrasse

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I just added one yesterday and think it is pretty money. just wondering what everyone thinks of these. i havre heard they can clean parasite and eat all kinds of badies like flat and bristle worms.

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Bump

digital-audiophile
04-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Mine is a pain in the backside. Cool fish to look at but full of bad attitude. He bothers any new addition to the tank.

He once jumped and I made the mistake of getting him back in the water and performing fish CPR. In hindsight I should have let him flip around on the carpet until he stopped moving.

dsaundry
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I have just replaced the one I had. Didnt bother the other fish, but he was a lot smaller than the other fish. I liked him...He disappeared a week or so ago and I couldn't find him until the other day when I located him under a filter below my tank{still not sure how he got there}. Needless to say, he was pretty dried up..So as in the other post, they do jump...:biggrin:

BC564
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
yeah...mine went carpet surfing too.......found him too late...so he became tube anemone food......hey....they gotta eat too

EmilyB
04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Had a couple over the years and usually ended up getting rid of them because they were always harrassing some of the other fish I had at the time.

Have one now in the hopes it would eat flatworms, but of course not. He lives with larger fish, including a trigger and behaves himself perfectly. I can now say I like this fish, in the correct environment. :biggrin:

Matt
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
My favourite current fish, I think... I love how active it is, and mine, at least, did eat flatworms, and hasn't jumped out, and (so far) keeps aggression to a minimum. It occasionally tries to bully my royal gramma, but so far has come out second in those jousts.

globaldesigns
04-08-2008, 02:08 AM
It was my first fish, never bothers the others. Very fun to watch as it does wierd things.

digital-audiophile
04-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I should say that it is really a hardy fish, I've had mine for over three years and he keeps on ticking.

PoonTang
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
They are a beautiful fish and interesting to watch. However mine is a bully to any small inhabitants or newly introduced fish. So much so that he has even killed a few.

Todd
04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I quite enjoy mine. Lots of character, not much of a bully in my tank. It could be because it is young, I have heard they get meaner with age. It is usually the last one to come out for feeding and my female maroon clown usually bosses him around at that time.

When I was moving livestock over from my 75g reef to my 135, I had moved lots of the liverock over and had a rubbermaid sitting on the floor with just a few drops of water in it. I was busy chasing around my other fish into nets when I walked over and saw the 6 line in the rubbermaid. He must have been in there for a few minutes already, he was definatly freaked out as when I put him into the new tank he hid for two days. Although it certainly made catching him easy! My tank now is completely canopied in, so there is no chance of carpet surfing.

He has only made it into my overflow once. It'll be interesting to see how he does when I introduce a few new fish to the tank next weekend, as the tank will become a bit more crowded. Hopefully lots of hiding spots, and moving some rock around, will overcome any aggression towards the new fish.

ElGuappo
06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
i have just noticed that he is bullying my tobbacco bass. the bass is not looking to well right now as all fins seem to have tears in them any ideas.

workn2hard2day
11-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I have a 14g Nano, only occup. are a shrimp/goby. I would like to put in a couple fish that wont go run and hid when I get close to the tank.
I saw a 6L wrasse at the LFS, was told not to put it in anything smaller that a 30g., but I have been on-line looking and have found w/pages that say they are ok in a smaller tank.
Anyone have any experience here?
Would the 6 line bug the goby?

Marlin65
11-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I got a big fat one and he stays out of the Niger's way but I am pretty sure he has eaten every pod and worm in the tank.:lol:
I can see how it would be a problem with smaller fish. They are fast and feisty.
Better not put one in with that goby unless it is small.

Delphinus
11-06-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm not too sure. If the fish is small he might do OK in that 14g for a little while but as he gets a little bigger he may grow restless. Wrasses are very active swimmers, they never really stop to take a break. They're almost like a hornet buzzing around the tank.

I have a 14g Nano, only occup. are a shrimp/goby. I would like to put in a couple fish that wont go run and hid when I get close to the tank.
I saw a 6L wrasse at the LFS, was told not to put it in anything smaller that a 30g., but I have been on-line looking and have found w/pages that say they are ok in a smaller tank.
Anyone have any experience here?
Would the 6 line bug the goby?

workn2hard2day
11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I will skip putting a 6/L inthe tank.

fishoholic
11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I had my 6L in a 30g with my bi-colour blenny (bi-colour was there 1st) and they got along great. When we sold the 30g we moved them into my 230g (mostly tangs and angels in this tank) and my 6L hid for awhile. Now he is comfortable enough to swim around (doesn't bother anyone) and he actually swims around with my bi-colour a lot, I guess you could say they're best buds :wink:

fiorano
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
i have had 2 and they both found a way out of the tank :( but im getting another one after i seal up my tank better in the hopes he will eat flatworms. the first 2 sure didnt. but they definitly are a fun fish to have

trilinearmipmap
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Can anyone comment on the compatibility of 6-lines with Cleaner Shrimp? I have two large cleaner shrimp that I don't want to lose if I add a 6-line.

ElGuappo
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Can anyone comment on the compatibility of 6-lines with Cleaner Shrimp? I have two large cleaner shrimp that I don't want to lose if I add a 6-line.

i currently have a 6line in a 34g with 2 cleaners. before my tank crash also had camel, and blood shrimp with no issues. also used to have pep shrimp till i move to a different tank. for other reasons.

EmilyB
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
They are fine with cleaners.

Mine disappeared. I suspect he is under something....

JDigital
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Mine is dead in less than 24hrs.

Added a tiny one to my 10G contest tank 2 nights ago. Acclimated properly (drip method for 1hr+) added him and a tiny clown, and Rose Bulb Anem.. He starting hunting as soon as I added him, and even added prep'd food. I left for the night, got home last night, and couldn't see him swimming.. so I started looking around and found him in the grasp of my Pom Pom Crab. So I'm not sure at all what happened to him. I am pondering the idea that he may have gotten tagged by the Nem. But its really a mystery right now.